News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can I put a magnet on a T-3 water trough?

Started by Elmer, January 31, 2011, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmer

I've just bought a new T-3 and wondered if it would be useful to epoxy a strong magnet on the outside of the water trough, effectively mimicking the T-7 feature to catch the metal from the water.
Could too strong a magnet harm the electric motor?
I'd appreciate any advice, please.
Thanks,
Elmer

ionut

Hi Elmer,

Before I upgraded my through I have simply used for a long time two 1/2" earth magnets simply taped with duct tape on the side of the through , the opposite side compared with the position of the motor without harming the motor in any way. These magnets lose their magnetic effect with the distance, so I do not believe there is any effect for the motor. I have done than on a T7 machine but I believe you could do that for T3 as well and if you prefer you can use epoxy as well.

Ionut

Robbo

I use a magnet in a "zip type" plastic bag in the trough itself.

When I clean it out, I just turn the bag inside out and capture the metal inside. No fuss and no mess. ;D
"We do good turns every day"

ionut

:) that's a nice idea, you could just get the magnet out from the bag and the metal filings would fell off...

Ionut

tooljunkie

That is a good Idea Simple.
I am amazed at how much steel gets collected around the magnet.
You can never have enough tools!