News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Brill Bit Sharpening Jig

Started by cbc101, December 28, 2010, 08:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc101

I'm contemplating the purchase of the new drill bit jig but have a question that someone may be able to answer first, and that is: Is there a way to radially orient the bit other than aligning the bit's existing facets parallel with the index marks as demonstrated on the video? I ask this because I have many bits that I have sharpened by hand, by eye, over the years that may or may not have the cutting edges positioned correctly anymore. I hope I've beeen clear enough to recieve a good answer.  Anyone???   Thanks

Jeff Farris

As I understand it, it won't really matter. Careful alignment will minimize the time spent grinding and the amount of steel removed, but as long as it is close to the old edge, you should be able to grind to a new, parallel edge.
Jeff Farris

cbc101

Thanks for the reply Jeff but let me ask this a different way. If I had a broken off bit and wanted to regrind it how would I orient it in the jig. There must be a relationship between the cutting edges and the spiraling of the flutes, no? Thanks again

Jeff Farris

If the bit is broken, an "eyeball" line-up of the two outside cutting edges that intersects with the center of the bit should get you very close. Small adjustments could be made to even up the two bevels.
Jeff Farris