News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM and wetstone don't match ... ??

Started by Ern, November 01, 2009, 12:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ern

Hi Jeff,

Same settings on both. 

Spindle gouge, sharpened at 35 degrees on the wetstone.  Gouge jig set at #2, projection 65mm, hole B using the TTS.

Transferred to the newly mounted BGM  --> about 5 degrees more acute (by eyeball).  Takes two full turns of the mount bar adjuster screw to get it roughly the same ( = bar coming further away from the wheel).

Is this normal or is there something I have overlooked?

Would appreciate your advice.

Cheers,  Ern
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Well, my first question is, why are you going that way?  I can understand idle curiosity, but there would  be nothing to gain by going from the Tormek to the dry grinder.

That said, my guess is that on one set up or the other (either the completed grind or the positioning on the dry grinder) that one of the contact buttons was lifted slightly off the grindstone surface.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Thanks Jeff. 

I'm not doing it this way for sharpening purposes.  Been using the wetstone for some time and decided to mount a BGM  for consistency across the two 'platforms'.  So this was a test of that.  (Although if I'd chipped an edge and used the labelled settings to take it out using the BGM it would've changed the geometry.)

Anyway, yes, both wheels are turning.  Just checked a third time.

Doesn't make sense does it.
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

But, perhaps they weren't perfectly on the wheel when you ground it on the Tormek.

Just rely on visual inspection of contact.  "Turning" implies to me that you were rotating the stone and looking for movement of the wheels.  It's not designed that way, and you will eventually grind a flat spot on one of the buttons (when it fails to spin).
Jeff Farris

Ern

Jeff, thanks for the heads up about wheel wear on the TTS.

As for the angle mismatch, first thing I did was swap between the two 'platforms'.  The labelled setting reproduced the bevel angle nicely on the wetstone but as I said was clearly out on the dry grinder.

So I started on a gouge that needed reshaping.  Used the settings to produce a 45 degree bevel and did that on the dry grinder.  Moved to the wetstone and it matched.  Checked the bevel angle and it was around 55 degrees!  Took another gouge with a measured 45 degree bevel, set it up in the same way and there was a lot of daylight between it and the wheel.

So clearly I'm doing something wrong despite double checking everything  ???

I take it that the numbers on the knuckle joint of the jig are meant to match the grooves?  (though this problem is a protrusion matter isn't it?).
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Ern,

This may sound an odd question, what's the age of your SVD-185 jig? 
Jeff Farris

Ern

Not very Jeff.

It's got the 0-6 scale on it.

The numbers appear to correspond to grooves rather than ridges, if I'm reading it right.
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Thought that might be it.  See this link.

http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svd180/svd185_arrow.php

Call us at 1-800-586-7635 and I'll mail you a sticker to fix to your jig.
Jeff Farris

Ern

(expletive deleted).

Thanks Jeff.

I'm in Australia and will contact the distributor here.

Also a member of the largest WW forum here and have seen no mention of this error on it.  The local guys could have gone the extra inch you'd think.
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Quote from: rsser on November 04, 2009, 07:18:26 PM
(expletive deleted).

Thanks Jeff.

I'm in Australia and will contact the distributor here.

Also a member of the largest WW forum here and have seen no mention of this error on it.  The local guys could have gone the extra inch you'd think.

It's quite possible they don't know.  It has only very recently been discovered. 

Before you worry too much about getting the "official" sticker, just measure 20mm (as shown on the linked page) and make a mark with a fine pointed permanent marker (the one that came with your SVD-185 will work). Then when you get the sticker, you can just place it over the mark.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Okeydoke.

(I've had mine for months by the way).
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Quote from: rsser on November 04, 2009, 07:40:27 PM
Okeydoke.

(I've had mine for months by the way).

Yep, we made the change in January to include the #6 position for the Ellsworth grind.  The new casting for the pointer was made incorrectly, and everything shipped from Sweden between January 1 and September 22 is wrong.  In places where turnover is fast, corrected units are in stores, but for most markets, it will be a few months before this is completely worked out.  Until then, in the USA call the 800 number and in the rest of the world contact your local dealer or the national sales agent. Warehouse stocks are being fixed, but stock delivered to a dealer will have to be fixed by the purchaser.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Some folks might appreciate new setting stickers as well Jeff.
Cheers,  Ern