News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening away from the edge

Started by Ruadh, October 18, 2009, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruadh

Hello folks
I am new to this game and have, as yet, only sharpeded 4 knives.
I am very uncomforable sharpening with the wheel turning into the knife edge so I've done the last two the other way.

Other than the speed, which doesn't really concern me, is there any other reason not to sharpen a knife this way?

Also, when buffing, should I be holding the knife at a more acute (45*) angle or a shallower (20*) angle?

Thank you very much
Rick
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Jeff Farris

Rick,

Horizontal mount (wheel turning away from the edge) is preferred by many for knife sharpening.  I find it a little awkward to set the angle, and you will occasionally have some interference with the legs of the Universal Support on very large knives.  Other than those two issues, it is an easier and safer approach.

On the honing wheel, you should try to approximate exactly the same angle that you ground on the stone.  If you bring the angle up higher, you will round over the edge.  If you have it too flat, you'll just polish the back of the blade and not get the job done.  If you think about it, you can see that it is better to err on the side of being too flat rather than too steep.  You can always bring the angle up a little, but once it is rounded over, there's nothing to do but start over.

Jeff Farris

jeffs55

I have only sharpened with the rotation of the wheel towards me. I have read that either way is fine, no experience there. You must pay ATTENTION when doing this because if the sharp edge "grabs" the wheel it will scare the crap out of you! It will almost certainly gouge the wheel as the edge bites into the wheel. No lasting problems though. I have done this and hence my knowledge. The key is to create the burr and then buff it out. I like the more acute angle of 45° to make the initial burr removal. I then like to go to the less acute 20 ° or so to polish the edges. If the burr is not removed with the intial contact with the polishing wheel then try again. If you continue to have a burr and are unable to remove it, then REburr it and try again. Try to knock the burr off the first time.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ruadh

Well thank you Jeff(s) :)
That puts my mind at ease.
And, yes, I did scare myself. I've had enough cuts on my hands though.
Stitches in the palm are about the most painful I've ever had.

Good machine Mr. Farris. I'm quite pleased.

Rick
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous