News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

problems grinding with T3

Started by bsedwick, February 06, 2009, 02:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsedwick

Jeff and all,
  I bought the t3 a few days ago and am pretty pleased for the most part.  I am a little disappointed I can't use the tool rest to hone and now I see the continuous run time is 30 min.  I will say that flattening the backs and hollow grinding have never been easier.  My main area of concern is that I can't get a grind anyway near straight.  I understand about appling even pressure and spending equal amounts of time on all areas of the bevel but I just can't make it work.  I have tried numerous times using the truing tool and then when I go to use the right angle jig, things get all messed up.  What I am seeing is that i can't get the tool rest to stay parallel with the stone.  Everytime I raise or lower it, it's a crapshoot whether or not I tighten both rods in the correct position.  It appears there is an awful lot of play in the two rods.  I just don't know what to do.  Maybe I should return this one and try out the t7?  I am not at all ready to give up though.  Thanks for the patience, Ben

Jeff Farris

My T-3 experience is somewhat limited, so I may be adding to this later today.  Initially I will suggest that you use the micro-adjustment feature to help insure that the Universal Support is in the same plane each time you adjust it.  If the micro-adjustment nut is sitting on top of the sleeve and you apply just a bit of pressure with your thumb directly above the micro-adjustment nut as you tighten the clamps, it should always lock at the same relative angle.
Jeff Farris

bsedwick

thanks Jeff.  I will give it a try although I think I may have attempted this approach.  On another note, has there been any common problems with the T7?  If not, maybe I should check out that one.

Jeff Farris

The T-7 is significantly more rigid in both the frame and the sleeves for the Universal Support.  That said, I use the procedure I just outlined on the T-7, too.  Use the micro-adjuster, pressure down directly over the micro-adjuster, lock the knob on the threaded bar first, then on the smooth bar.  What is most critical is that you get in the habit of doing it just this way every time, so that you're in the same plane when you true the wheel and when you set it up to grind a tool. 
Jeff Farris

bsedwick

Thanks again Jeff.  That approach certainly does make sense and easily repeatable.  No despair here; I will give it some more practice.