News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Considering a T-7

Started by Hoagie, November 25, 2008, 10:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagie

Hello,
New to this forum. Found it while researching different sharpening systems. I recently started turning and need a quick, accurate and reliable way to keep my chisels at their best.
I've looked at some of the competition, but I keep coming back to the Tormek line. Especially after a long conversation with two salesmen at the local Rockler. They are huge fans of Tormek, have used theirs for years and don't recommend anything else.
So this leads to my question:

The T-7 retails for $589 and comes with some accessories as part of the base package.
The Supergrind 2006 with Micro Adjuster is currently on sale for $299.
Obvious accessories that come with the T-7 and not the 2006, the SP-650 and the TT50, would add about $100 to the price of the 2006. Still substantially lower than the price of the T-7.

So what else does the T-7 offer that does not come with the 2006 that makes it worth another $189? It has an increased capacity (3" vs 2.25"). Anything else?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Brian

jeffs55

I have the older model 2006 and find it perfectly adequate for all my sharpening needs. However, I am just a plain old Joe that likes sharp things. I have never sharpened anything except a knife but am an expert at that if I do say so myself! LOL I look at things this way. If the difference is only $189 and you like the way it reads, then buy it. After all, you only spend the $189 more one time. In my humble opinion, I consider the features of the T7 worthy. Buy it!
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Jeff Farris

The current Rockler promotion is on a limited quantity of "New, Old Stock" 2006's. 

As you've found, the most important difference is that the T-7 includes the TT-50 Truing Tool and the SP-650 Stone Grader.  If you go with the old 2006, do not forget to add these important accessories.  Also, there's more to the difference in the included jigs for chisels and plane irons than just the capacity.  The new SE-76 indexes from the flat side of the chisel, rather than from the back (non-critical) side.  It is much easier to set up and delivers square edges much more predictably.  However, it also is available individually for $50.99.  The T-7 carries a 7 year warranty against any defect in materials or workmanship that is valid for both private and commercial use.  The 2006 has a 3 year warranty. Finally, Tormek has a current promotion for a pair of Crown Classic Bench Chisels, retail value $40.  These are free to anyone who purchases a T-7 between now and the end of the year.  The offer is not valid on the Rockler old stock 2006's.

So, as you see, the difference is not quite as great as it looks at first glance.  It is still a good deal, but you will have to be sure to add the extras you need and you won't have the assurance of the 7 year warranty.

To avoid confusion, this thread will be deleted once the Rockler close out has concluded.

Jeff Farris

Hoagie

Thanks Jeff.

I've been lurking on this forum for the past 2 weeks as I've researching different sharpening systems. I knew you'd respond back with the information necessary to make the best decision.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.
Brian

jeffs55

I had another thought similar to Jeff Farris concerning the seven year warranty. You cannot buy a seven year warranty on anything for $189, enough said. Buy the T 7.

boehme

From a design perspective, I believe that the horizontal base is the only difference between the new T-7 and the older 2000.  I have had the model 2000 for over seven years and feel that it is a very solid well constructed machine and is not very likely to malfunction.  In any motor powered tool, the most likely parts to fail are the power switch and the capacitor on the motor and both are fairly low cost items to replace.

I really like the new horizontal base because it uses a locking knob on both sides -- I had been considering for a long time modifying mine to add a locking knob to the side next to the honing wheel.  When Tormek recently came out with the T-7, they offered an upgrade kit for older models which is a replacement horizontal base so I just ordered the new horizontal base.

Over the years, I have accumulated most, if not all, jigs for the Tormek, but the advantage of getting them one at a time is that you get only what you need and the cost is spread out over time instead of one big cost.  On the other hand, there is usually a cost savings to getting a package deal.  I was in my local Rocklers store and saw the sale price on the older machines.  Knowing the reliability of the Tormek, I would not hesitate to go for the special sale price on the older model.

Locksmith

Hi:

I'm buying a T-7 TORMEK in very early January and already have it ordered.

My question is I've already been asked to sharpen 2 very long mechanical paper guillotine blades which are at least 1.5+ foot long.

Is it possible to sharpen something that long on this machine?
or is a special elongated mounting jig necessary?

jeffs55

I humbly submit that it is not possible to successfully sharpen that object while using a Tormek jig. You must by design swoop, curve or otherwise move the blade in an arc on the Tormek while using a jig. However, if you can do this freehand you will be able to achieve the desired results. You can sharpen straight across the length freehand. I dont know if I could do it, it would take a very steady hand.

Locksmith

Yes it does look like a job that's in 'the too hard' basket.

How about if 2 guys, one on each end, coordinate a steady & straight movement of the blade freehand like you say but keep  a  focused attention on the water level adhering to the blade, as the grinder turns, like on the demo tapes for ordinary chisels & straight-edged knives? Maybe a 3rd guy looking at it straight on, is needed for that?

The guillotine blade is a perfect rectangular piece of metal. It's not a samurai sword but it is longer than the average machete.

Jeff Farris

What are the dimensions of your paper blade?  I'm not hopeful, but if you can give me dimensions and possibly post a picture, I'll evaluate the possibility.
Jeff Farris