News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Interview with Larrin Thomas

Started by cbwx34, June 10, 2024, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Another "deceptive title" video... this one is actually a pretty decent condensed interview with Larrin Thomas (who invented Magnacut steel) that covers several factors including: different steels, parameters, blade geometry, etc...

Larrin Thomas is also the founder of the website Knife Steel Nerds.

8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 10, 2024, 04:24:12 PMAnother "deceptive title" video.

Click bait. They do that to get eyes on screen. Some titles are more egregious and some I do not watch on principal. Some channels I used to watch kept changing to get more eyeballs and became less and less informative as a result. They emphasize "entertainment" over content. I sort of can tolerate clickbaity titles so long as the content is there, but once they start down that slippery slope it can in in irrelevancy.

Sorry about the rant!

Some of the best channels I watch have independent means of income so don't rely on clicks, or fancy "arty" video effects (which can be effective but are often more distracting).

cbwx34

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on June 11, 2024, 01:50:02 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on June 10, 2024, 04:24:12 PMAnother "deceptive title" video.

Click bait. They do that to get eyes on screen. Some titles are more egregious and some I do not watch on principal. Some channels I used to watch kept changing to get more eyeballs and became less and less informative as a result. They emphasize "entertainment" over content. I sort of can tolerate clickbaity titles so long as the content is there, but once they start down that slippery slope it can in in irrelevancy.

Sorry about the rant!

Some of the best channels I watch have independent means of income so don't rely on clicks, or fancy "arty" video effects (which can be effective but are often more distracting).

So, what do you watch?  You're probably right, but I found the content of this video interesting.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 11, 2024, 03:35:06 PMbut I found the content of this video interesting.

Agree. This guy is not too bad. As for my hobbies there are a couple of British woodworkers such as Paul Sellars and from the US Mark Spagnolo and Matt Cremona, who also do a podcast with Shannon Rogers which is also on YouTube, Woodtalk. I also like Dennis from The Netherlands Hooked On Wood who is more into sheet goods rather than what is termed "fine woodworking" but I stole his drawer design for my shed. Overall I think that Mark and Paul hve taught me the most about woodworking and are the biggest influence on me.

I also sub to some leather working channels but most of them have gone commercial. There are several Korean leather workers who are quite good.

There are some others - probably too long a list really.

3D Anvil

I'm not a big fan of Zac's channel, but Larrin has absolutely been a gift to the knife community.  If you didn't know, he has his own Youtube channel that any knife steel nerd should subscribe to.