News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thoughts on the KS-123 class

Started by Ken S, June 05, 2024, 02:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have been working with Dutchman's Grinding Angle tables for more than ten years. Even without an extensive math background, "Projection", Distance", "Bevel Angle", and "Changes in wheel diameter" have become comfortable old friends. I have Dutchman's tables downloaded on my ipad and printed copies scattered throughout my house.

I will readily admit that my kenjig has been completely outgunned by the KS-123 and that it will soon become mostly a relic. Both operate on the same theory; however, the KS-123 is far more sophisticated.

I had the rare opportunity of being in a discussion group with both Per and Håkan, independent designers of very similar jigs. Håkan kindly presented with a prototype jig.

Without the benefit of instructions or an online class, I had some initial difficulties understanding the KS-123; however these were soon surpassed. The online class greatly shortens the learning curve.

One concept which has been mentioned in several classes, but never fully explained is the concept of loading. Woodworkers encounter this all the time with hand plane depth adjustment screws. The same is true with adjusting wheels in machine shops. For precise adjustment, one should always  try to move the screw  ( with the Tormek that means moving the microadjust upward. This eliminates the "slop" . Either direction will get the job done; eliminating the slop just is a little better.

I will not be discarding my Anglemaster. I will move it from my knife jig to my square edge tools, where it was originally designed to be used. It functions very well with chisels and plane blades, especially with good light.

Ken

PS The most pleasant surprise with the KS-123 was the price. Having worked with a prototype, I honestly expected the price to be double the $50 US. And, instead of my present nine knife jigs, I could do the job with only one KJ-45 (possibly adding a KJ-140 if I ever purchase a long , thin filleting knife, which is doubtful).

John_B

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I plan on watching the video again before I use it. Looks pretty easy though. I want to find a good projection distance for most knives and leave the settings alone aftr that. Having 2 support bars will help with sharpening and honing.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

Ah ha! I detect in your technique some embers of my old kenjig technique. I am glad of that!

I think most chef knives would fall into the 1 1/2 to 2" width range. With the wiggle room in the jig, I don't think this group would require much if any jig fiddling. I like your two support bar rig.

With some sharpening sequencing planning, I think the KJ-45 will be almost, but not quite as fast, as the kenjig.

Ken

Nazzareno Falcone

Buona sera a tutti,
ho appena acquistato l'accessorio KS-123 per trovare l'angolo di affilatura, sicuramente e molto semplice, ma un minimo di spiegazioni credo sarebbero necessarie. Il libretto di spiegazioni è piuttosto stringato e il video che lo accompagna è praticamente inutile vista la velocità in cui si susseguono le immagini. Quindi considerato che non tutti conoscono l'inglese e che giustamente non potete fare libretti in tutte le lingue, potreste almeno fare un video (anche senza parole) più lento ed evidenziando tutti i passaggi. Grazie

cbwx34

Quote from: Nazzareno Falcone on June 12, 2024, 08:15:30 PMBuona sera a tutti,
ho appena acquistato l'accessorio KS-123 per trovare l'angolo di affilatura, sicuramente e molto semplice, ma un minimo di spiegazioni credo sarebbero necessarie. Il libretto di spiegazioni è piuttosto stringato e il video che lo accompagna è praticamente inutile vista la velocità in cui si susseguono le immagini. Quindi considerato che non tutti conoscono l'inglese e che giustamente non potete fare libretti in tutte le lingue, potreste almeno fare un video (anche senza parole) più lento ed evidenziando tutti i passaggi. Grazie

QuoteGood evening everyone,
I have just bought the KS-123 accessory to find the sharpening angle, surely it is very simple, but a minimum of explanations I think would be necessary. The booklet of explanations is rather concise and the video that accompanies it is practically useless given the speed at which the images follow one another. So considering that not everyone knows English and that you rightly can't make booklets in all languages, you could at least make a video (even without words) slower and highlighting all the steps. Thank you

They did do a live demo..

Edit: I found one other video, that even on mute looks like a decent demo...

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

FYI, for those in the U.S., sharpeningsupplies.com now lists the KS-123 as "in stock."  I got a shipping notification for mine (ordered on the day of release) yesterday.

v6turbo

you don't need the wheel on or it to have all 3 things on the wheel you just need to set the depth. doind this all at the same time is PITA

I and amature and only sharpen my own stuff.

so here is what i do

1.put knife in KJ45 and check it.
2.grab the 123 and clip it to the bar and press the jig/knife into it
3.ensure the knife is in the deep part of the V of the 123 (i notice sharp-ish knives can catch)
4.tighten the knob on the 123
     4b. set knife/jig to the side
5.put 123 on wheel and ensure all the tabs are on the wheel (watch middle black tab sometimes it doesn't touch)
6.adjust the USB up/down to near the angel
7.micro adjust the USB to nail the angle
OPTIONAL
(move to MB-102 and do this for the honing wheel trailing usually set 0.5-1 higher)
that takes maybe 2 minutes
sharpen
change stones (if i need to)
repeat 5 and 7 above for new stone
sharpen
Check burr
Bess TEST
HONE on the honing wheel
few passes
(SO MUCH EASER THIS WAY !!!)

Go over the BESS
cut myself with sharp knife will getting BESS setup  >:(
feel dumb   :'(
bess test under 60 (clips) and smile - forget about cut -  :P
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

KnifeChef

Just tried with a cleaver, won't fit

cbwx34

Quote from: KnifeChef on June 25, 2024, 05:27:23 PMJust tried with a cleaver, won't fit

They showed a cleaver in the live video...

https://www.youtube.com/live/5T4wtZSi4rE?si=3ybQ7tvC_t2WqtU6&t=1415

... set using the front stop.  What are you seeing different?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)