News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Noise coming from grinder

Started by gidon, July 09, 2008, 12:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gidon

Hi
I have a T-7 and find that even without on pressure on either of the wheels there's a rough noise coming from the grinder. Taking off the honing wheel it looks like the drive wheel is shedding some of its rubber and I believe that this rubber "grit" is causing the noise?
Is this normal - anything I can do about it? It's happened almost from new (a few months ago).
Many thanks
Gidon

Jeff Farris

It is normal for the drive wheel to shed a little bit of material.  Noise and vibration can come from several places, most of which are not serious and easily corrected.  If you have the WM-200 AngleMaster fixed to the front of your machine by its magnets, touch it when you hear the vibration.  This is a common problem and can usually be corrected by repositioning the AngleMaster to a different spot on the machine.  Vibrations are also common in the Universal Support if it is not secured with the locking knobs in either the vertical or horizontal mount. Sometimes an empty water tray can vibrate, too, which is solved by filling it up.

The serious vibration that is extremely rare, but not unheard of, is in the motor itself.  The diagnosis is simple.  Remove the honing wheel and take a look.  The motor shaft rests against the outside of the drive wheel.  The motor is mounted to the frame with a hinge pin.  Llift up on the motor, moving the shaft away from the drive wheel.  While holding the motor away from the drive wheel, turn the motor on.  If the motor runs smoothly, check all the above mentioned conditions.  If the motor buzzes and/or vibrates loudly, contact us for warranty repair (800 586-7635).
Jeff Farris

gidon

Thanks Jeff for your prompt reply.
The noise isn't a vibration noise - it's a sort of soft grinding noise. I've checked the motor as you advised and the motor's fine. I've confirmed the noise is from the grit coming off the drive wheel - it's not a biggy but not heard this on other machines - have you?
Cheers
Gidon

Jeff Farris

No, that's a new one.  I wouldn't call what comes off the drive wheel "grit".  A fine rubbery powder is what I would call it.  It shouldn't be hard.  Take a piece of coarse sandpaper (80 grit or so) and hold it against the drive wheel while it is running.  Do the same to the motor shaft.  Keep those two surfaces clean and the machine should run just fine...but you will see some stuff come off the drive wheel and the honing wheel over time.
Jeff Farris

gidon

OK - thanks will try that.
Cheers
Gidon