News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Brand new T4

Started by jwent333, January 08, 2023, 12:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwent333

Greetings,

I have had my T4 for over a week with some of the accessories to start with

KJ-45
TT-50
SVM-00

I have yet to use the T4. I am an Executive Chef by trade and at 55 years old I figured it was time to dive into sharpening my own knives. I was always horrible with stones and could never get the angles down. I also never had the time or patience to really work at it.

I have mainly R-2 or SG2 steel, VG10 and an unknown steel that Misono (UX10). Misono will not release info on their steel. All knives are Double Bevel Edge 50/50, except the Misono's which are 70/30 bevel (right handed). They will be a challenge for the future.

I have some older style German knives which are high carbon stainless with a bolster and many Forschner knives.

I have been reading forums and watching videos, and as usual I overthink things. I have watched the DVD that came with the T4 as well as some youtube videos.

This all can be overwhelming. I know this forum has many suggested videos to watch and I will when time permits.

The question I have is if anyone can recommend basic or even in depth videos for a novice (noob) to the Tormek world.

I am confused by the many videos out there.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

cbwx34

Quote from: jwent333 on January 08, 2023, 12:31:10 AM...

The question I have is if anyone can recommend basic or even in depth videos for a novice (noob) to the Tormek world.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

The "Sharpening Class" videos from Tormek is where I'd start.  Here's the playlist...

Tormek Sharpening Class

... look for the ones that pertain to what you sharpen.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

I agree with CB about the importance of the well done Tormek online class videos. They are worthy of serious study.

Several years ago, I spent the day hanging around the Tormek demonstrators at a tool show in Hartville, Ohio. One of the most enjoyable parts of the day was talking with a fifty fivish couple. He was a retired professor of music who had retrained as a chef and was working at his chosen second career. He was considering a T4 to sharpen his chef's knives. At the time, I had both a T7 and a T4, and very much liked the portability of the T4 for sharpening knives.

I shared several emails with him. He was quite pleased with his T4, as I believe you will be, also.

Here are a few suggestions to get you up and running:

Become fluent with your TT-50 truing tool and stone grader. These important accessories are well covered in the online classes.

The black marker is the easiest way to set bevel angles

For routine sharpening where the knife is not quite sharp, start with the stone graded fine. Coarse is only for very dull or damaged knives. Sharpening is less of a chore when done regularly.

Make it a habit to finish the last strokes of each grit with light pressure. This will help minimize scratches.

If you are sharpening several knives, do all the similar size knives at the same time. This will minimize set up time.

Don't be in a rush. Enjoy your sharpening.

Ken

TireguyfromMA

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.  After buying a T8 about one year ago, and sharpening over 600 knives on it now, I'm more convinced than ever I bought the best knife sharpening machine available. Really did not have much good experience, or success trying to sharpening before I bought the T8...I still consider myself a rookie even after sharpening 600 knives. 

The TORMEK online videos are excellent, if your like me, you'll probably find yourself watching the same video a few times.  Another great online source for sharpening and honing information on different makes of knives is Knife Grinders Australia.  The gentleman that made these videos ( Dr Vadim Kraichuk) is no longer with us, he passed about year ago, but was highly regarded on this forum as one of the best authorities on knife sharpening.  Vadim took sharpening to a genuine scientific level with his research on how to make the very best edge on any knife.  Highly recommend watching his videos too.

Enjoy!

jwent333

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 08, 2023, 03:24:07 AM
Quote from: jwent333 on January 08, 2023, 12:31:10 AM...

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

The "Sharpening Class" videos from Tormek is where I'd start.  Here's the playlist...

Tormek Sharpening Class

... look for the ones that pertain to what you sharpen.

Thank you

jwent333

Quote from: Ken S on January 08, 2023, 06:25:02 AMWelcome to the forum, Jeff.

I agree with CB about the importance of the well done Tormek online class videos. They are worthy of serious study.

Several years ago, I spent the day hanging around the Tormek demonstrators at a tool show in Hartville, Ohio. One of the most enjoyable parts of the day was talking with a fifty fivish couple. He was a retired professor of music who had retrained as a chef and was working at his chosen second career. He was considering a T4 to sharpen his chef's knives. At the time, I had both a T7 and a T4, and very much liked the portability of the T4 for sharpening knives.

I shared several emails with him. He was quite pleased with his T4, as I believe you will be, also.

Here are a few suggestions to get you up and running:

Become fluent with your TT-50 truing tool and stone grader. These important accessories are well covered in the online classes.

The black marker is the easiest way to set bevel angles

For routine sharpening where the knife is not quite sharp, start with the stone graded fine. Coarse is only for very dull or damaged knives. Sharpening is less of a chore when done regularly.

Make it a habit to finish the last strokes of each grit with light pressure. This will help minimize scratches.

If you are sharpening several knives, do all the similar size knives at the same time. This will minimize set up time.

Don't be in a rush. Enjoy your sharpening.

Ken

Thank you for your input. I actually live about 45 minutes north of Hartville. My T4 came from Hartville Hardware through Amazon.

I will say I am intimidated by the process, but that is just me overthinking things I am certain.

Thanks again and will take in all this advice.

jwent333

Thank you all for your replies.

I was considering returning the T4 but will keep it and just keep learning.

I belong to many forums because of the wealth of information that they provide of real life experiences.

I hope to be active in the Tormek forums for many years to come.

Grace and peace to all of you.

Jeff

brute

Hi,
  With regard to most comments above, I would just like to mention that the actual sharpening of the blade edge is only one part of the process.  Deburring and honing is the other half of the process which is very often overlooked, or seldom talked about, in the videos (even the Tormek Videos) ...BUT is very important.

After sharpening, before deburring or honing, I look at the blade edge through a digital microscope and then proceed with the deburring/honing process.  I find that using the digital microscope really illustrates what exactly needs to be done to complete the process.  Note: you can find digital microscopes priced from $30 to $200 and is well worth the expense.  Good Luck with your new T4 it's a great product!

cbwx34

Quote from: brute on January 08, 2023, 04:21:51 PMHi,
Deburring and honing is the other half of the process which is very often overlooked, or seldom talked about, in the videos (even the Tormek Videos) ...BUT is very important.

There is a video on it from Tormek...

The Basics of Honing

(They also bring it up in some of the other videos.)

And you're right, it is very important.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Brute,

For the record, I recall Sebastien stating in the Basics of Honing video class that the title was chosen (Basics) because Tormek plans to produce a second class on Advanced Honing.

Ken

John_B

I would start out sharpening your older least prized knives. Common advice is to practice on cheap low quality knives; I have found many of these hard to sharpen and properly hone as they are just too soft. When I started I found sharpening pretty easy to do but struggled for a while with honing. I got the hang of freehand honing but I did not achieve the sharpest edges until I started using guided honing.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

3D Anvil

In addition to the Tormek videos, I'd highly recommend reading through this forum thread: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,3055.0.html

The aforementioned Wootz came up with a method to avoid creating a concave toward the heel of the blade that I've found to be invaluable. 

jwent333

Ken S

3D,

Thanks for posting the link to those topics. They brought back memories of some outstanding members who have passed away. Much wisdom.

Ken

emagin

Hey @jwent333,
Thanks for posting.
How is it going, both with the chef job and the T4 on Misono UX-10
I have sharpened 200-300 knives now, and more recently fine tuned my UX-10 sharpening.
I really like the knife (am in culinary school using it daily)

The UX-10 Santoku I have is 70/30 edge.
What I have found works (for maintaining it, not radical repair/resharpening) is to do the 70 side at 15deg both low and high grit.
Then I do the 30 side at 10deg both low and high grit
Then I take off the jig and do my honing on both sides.

I've been able to maintain a mirror-polish edge on both sides, without affecting the overall geometry of the blade.

HOWEVER, the UX-10s come from the factory with a CONVEX long edge (the 70 side) to assist with stickage
I can't get convex edges on my T4 (not that I know of) so now I have a 70/30 with both sides flat, rather than one side flat one side convex.
There is a bit of stickage with things like potatoes and larger carrots, but honestly this does not bother me much and a bit of wrist tilt at the end of each chop takes care of it.

Quote from: jwent333 on January 08, 2023, 12:31:10 AMMisono's which are 70/30 bevel (right handed). They will be a challenge for the future.