News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SB250 or D-way?

Started by kenc295, February 08, 2024, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenc295

I have seen that sharpening lathe tools and planer blades (especially planer blades!) can be quite slow on the standard wheel. I'm considering buying the SB250 for those uses, but I notice that a local seller has a pair of D-way CBN in 80 and 180 for sale for $300 the pair.  I am thinking the SB250 is more flexible, being gradable like the standard stone, and also the D-way wheels are only 1-1/2" wide.

Any advice?

Ken S

I reviewed CBN wheels for the forum a number of years ago. At the time, the D-way wheels were the only ones which could be used wet, something I require with the Tormek. (This was before Tormek introduced diamonf wheels.) I found the D-Way wheels quite satisfactory, when used with Honerite Gold. They are steel with balancing holes. They have a one inch bore and require reducing bushings. These bushings are very well machined and quite reasonably priced. They are also made of non stainless steel. Like the wheels themselves, they require use of an anticorrosion agent. I have never found the cost of anticorrosion agents excessive.

I have not found the 1 1/2" thickness a problem. At the time, I had several telephne conversations with Dave Sweitzer and was impressed with the quality of the friendly customer service.

The SB-250 is designed for high speed steel and should be more efficient with these steels than the SG-250.

Ken

kenc295

Thanks for the reply Ken.

Does anyone have a preference?