News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SE-76

Started by bobgap, January 28, 2008, 10:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobgap

I have just gotten a T-7 and for the life of me I cannot use the SE-76 as described to create a square sharpening on a plane blade, it is always skewed.  I have trued the stone several times, tried just about everything I can think of, but the blade continues to come out skewed by a little bit, not square.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Jeff Farris

The "little bit" can be no more than which hand is your dominant. Particularly with wide blades like plane irons, grinding time and pressure is very critical.  

The answer is to keep a square close to your work area and check the iron frequently while grinding.  If you find the tool is out of square, slide the tool so that the short side of the angle is off the grindstone and you are working only on the long point.  Work that way for a few seconds, then start working in full, broad strokes again.  Check and repeat.

You'll get a feel for the balance after a while, as well as for the correction method.
Jeff Farris

bobgap

Well I've looked at it, and decide that the jig is not square, it was off by a few degrees, if I put a plane blade into it, squared it up with the front of the stone, then put the locking circle on the steel post it runs on, then rotate it to the back, the rear end is between 1/16 and 1/32 inch off (I didn't actually measure).  I could see that it was out of square with the stone just by looking at it.

So I am trying to figure out a way to square it up, I've tried filing it by hand, but I'm not improving it.  Before I give up and just use it as a fancy plane blade holder (squaring it up as I described above, which rather takes away a lot of the reason why I bought the tormek in the first place) is there any suggestions anyone can give me on getting it trued?

Jeff Farris

If the jig is not square, we will replace it free of charge.  
Jeff Farris