News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New sj-250 chipped

Started by Cookiedude91, March 10, 2022, 10:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookiedude91

Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and just received my t8 today. Unfortunately my sj-250 wheel arrived with small pieces broken of the edge.
I just want to know, is that a deal breaker for the wheel? or does it not matter much? i know the sj is more brittle so is this something that is maybe expected to happen from time to time? or should i return it

Ken S

Christian,
You should contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se).
Ken

TireguyfromMA

Tormek support or the vendor you bought the T8 from.  I bought my T8 from Sharpening Supplies and they have been great for taking care of any problems I had with it.  My T8 arrived with a crack in the zinc motor housing.  I sent them pictures of the crack right away and they sent me a new T8 the very next day.  It would also help your case if you took a picture of the pieces of the SJ-250 laying in the box.

RickKrung

Quote from: Cookiedude91 on March 10, 2022, 10:10:57 PM
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and just received my t8 today. Unfortunately my sj-250 wheel arrived with small pieces broken of the edge.
I just want to know, is that a deal breaker for the wheel? or does it not matter much? i know the sj is more brittle so is this something that is maybe expected to happen from time to time? or should i return it

Hopefully, you will receive satisfactory resolution by contacting the vendor who sold it to you or Tormek support. 

However, if not, it doesn't mean the wheel can't be used or won't be useful.  My SJ wheel suffered far more damage, that I though surely ruined it, when it fell off of a collapsing folding table, hit the ground, got soaked in acetone and became horribly cracked and one large chip on the corner, similar, but possibly larger than the one on your SJ. 

This occurred over three years ago. 

As it says in the linked thread above, the cracks closed up after the acetone dried out and I re-trued the surface and put a larger chamfer on the edges and tried it out.  Worked as good as new and I've been using it ever since without issue.

Before doing anything to your SJ wheel, you definitely need to pursue replacement.  However, if you get no satisfaction there, that chip does not have to matter at all.  I recommend that you first chamfer both edges to reduce chipping through normal use and truing.  Then true yours, which is usually necessary with a new one.  My experience is that the presence of a large chip on the corner or even a gouge out of the surface (as evidenced in the "after" photo above) does not affect use and utility of the SJ wheel. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Cookiedude91

Thanks for the replys, i have contacted my local reseller and they are sending a replacement. But i was also curious whether it would still be usable as accidents can happen later on, Rick answered that :)