News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chisel sharpening?

Started by Paul.J, August 10, 2020, 08:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.J

Recently bought the Supergrind 2000 mainly for turning tools but sorted all my chisels out the other day so thought i would give them all a nice new sharp straight edge on the Tormek, but would i use the rough side of stone grader and and do all the rough work first in one go on all the chisels, then use the smoother side of the grader to finish the chisels off, or do them individually one at a time, rough then smooth, rough then smooth etc?
Hope that makes sense ???

Ken S

Paul,

Chisels are my favorite tools to sharpen. Do each chisel start to finish before starting another. You have to choose between an extremely small amount of wear on your grinding wheel or having to set up your chisels twice as many times, with twice the chance of misalignment.

I have noticed what I call "My precious Tormek Grinding Wheel Syndrome" with many users. I was afflicted with this for quite a while before I realized that grinding wheels, all grinding wheels, are long term consumibles like brake linings on vehicles. One of the design benefits of the Tormek is being able to use the primary grinding wheel at different grits.

One suggestion for sharpening your chisels: Start with your mid width chisels. In the beginning, chisels around 3/4" width are easier to set up. Start with your mid width chisels, then work up to your widest chisels, then, after you are warmed up, do the trickier narrow chisels.

A second "one suggestion": Use a black marker and check frequently with a small square. Don't wait until you have ground for a minute or two to discover that you might not be grinding square or not at the bevel angle you want. Check early; the blackened bevel will tell the tale.

Enjoy chisel sharpening!

Ken

Paul.J

Thanks Ken, all done and dusted now and didn't take too long surprisingly :)
On the main honing wheel though do i have to put some more oil onto it as it feels dry, and how do i flatten it as it felt bumpy using it today?

Ken S

If there is a bump, I would use a sanding sponge. Go lightly.
The problem with oil is over oiling. a little occasionally won't hurt, but, again, go lightly. If you forget to oil, no harm done.
Ken

PS If you notice black flakes while honing, you need a little oil.

Paul.J

Quote from: Ken S on August 10, 2020, 11:42:22 PM
If there is a bump, I would use a sanding sponge. Go lightly.
The problem with oil is over oiling. a little occasionally won't hurt, but, again, go lightly. If you forget to oil, no harm done.
Ken

PS If you notice black flakes while honing, you need a little oil.

Thank you Ken and yes black flakes were coming off so i will look at it today and gently sand and lightly oil :)