News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What part number: knob for Tool Rest SVD-110

Started by Bob Jones, September 09, 2020, 07:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Jones

I recently bought a tool rest SVD-110 via eBay.  When it arrived I saw that it was used (not disclosed in the listing).  That wouldn't be so bad because the aluminum brushes up nicely.  The problem is that the knob is stripped in the black plastic, so the knob keeps turning beyond a fairly low torque.  Even THAT might not be a problem with the Torlock design, which doesn't seem to need much torque to hold firm, but you never know, and I sure don't want something to slip when it matters.

I would like to order a replacement knob.  You'd be surprised how challenging it is to find the part number!  I suspect part no. 7031 might work:  that's the knob that goes on the VERTICAL (not horizontal) supports for the Universal Support of the T-8.  I took that #7031 knob off the machine and it fit the SVD-110 well.  Also, (only) one of the knobs from the SE-77 jig fits as well.  But I can't find the part number for the knob that specifically goes with the SVD-110.  I'd just like to hear directly from Tormek that these knobs are identical before I order one. 

Any help from the community?  Many thanks. 

Ken S

Good post, Bob, and a good reply, JVH.

I would only add a couple minor things. Advanced Machinery bought Sharptoolsusa from our forum founder and first moderator, Jeff Farris. Jeff designed the parts diagrams, which are still used. Advanced is the most complete source of in stock Tormek parts in the US. Their website is also a good reference for other countries. It is my go to resource to purchase parts or just find a part number.

My original T7 was made before the EZYlock. I installed the upgrade myself. I learned a lot from this experience. I was impressed with the quality of the stainless steel machining. The other thing, which surprisedme, was how many of the parts looked like they would be available from the local hardware store. This struck me as very smart manufacturing; put the quality expense in the special parts and use standard parts where practical.

With this thought in mind, the locking knobs on the Tormek use an M6 thread (6mm diameter x 1mm pitch). Over the years I have purchased several kinds of M6 hardware locally for various projects.

Ken

RickKrung

Advanced Machinery is great and the only source of Tormek spare parts that I know of.  I've purchased quite a number, for modifications and such over the three years I've been a Tormek user.  Here is the link to AM's main page for the Tormek.

Access to the parts section is a scroll down towards the bottom.  Often the particular part one might be looking for is not listed individually, so one has to open different jigs to find the specific part with part number. 

I think these links should be a Sticky at the top of the General forum so folks could know about it more easily. 

However, Ken is correct...   Most, if not all of the locking screws and others are M6 and many hardware stores stock metric fasteners, including knobs, that can be substituted.  I have done this for things like set screws, but I like to preserve the Tormek label on things like knobs, but that is just a personal preference. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Bob Jones

Well, I certainly came to the right place.  Three excellent and informative replies.  Many thanks to jvh, Ken S, and RickKrung!  It's helpful to know about Advanced Machinery.  I second Rick's suggestion for a Sticky, but you guys swooped right in and helped me out!

Also, Ken, that is useful intelligence about the thread type if I'm ever in a pinch. 

All the best,
Bob