News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing wheel

Started by thisguysharpens, August 10, 2020, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisguysharpens

Leather vs Composite.

Please share your ideas and knowledge with me as I choose which unit to purchase.

Thank you

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jordan.
I would choose the leather honing wheel. It has been the standard Tormek honing wheel for decades. It is an all around, general purpose honing wheel. The composite wheel is brand new and designed to be used dry or with a little water. It seems like a specialty honing wheel.
Ken

John_B

There is little detailed information available on the new composite wheel. The sites that sell it simply reword or copy Tormek's information. I personally would eait until we have some real world user data before jumping at it.

The leather wheel has served us well for a very long time and it would be my recommended choice.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

thisguysharpens

As in my other post, thank you for your help and advice, gentlemen.

I am convinced that the basic T-8 set-up, practiced and learned, is where I must start.

RichColvin

After almost 15 yrs on my Tormek, I still use the leather wheel.  Not a professional, but it works for me.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.