News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is it possible to attatch a wire wheel to the honing side of the t3?

Started by solrankos, August 21, 2020, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solrankos

My father in law gave me his t3, never used a Tormek or another bench grinder before. but i would like to attach a wire wheel. Is it possible to attatch any kind of grinder wheel or is it Tormek accessories only?

jeffs55

It depends on the hole size of the wheel you want to attach or whether or not you could modify the hole size or shaft size to accomodate your chosen accessory. A wire wheel at Tormek speed would be just slightly better than useless.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

RickKrung

Don't mean to be critical, but why would you want to mount a wire wheel on a Tormek?  They just don't spin fast enough to have much/any benefit, it seems to me.  Try it, I guess. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

micha

I agree with the wire wheel being useless on a Tormek, although there sure would be a way to attach it.

Ken S

Attaching a wire wheel on your T3 (or any other Tormek) isn't a big project. Just purchase an extender used with the leather profiling wheels, a piece of 5/8" Outside Diameter plastic pipe, and some 5/8" fender washers. Bore(drill) out the plastic pipe with a 12mm drill bit and fit it to the extender. Fill up the space with the fender washers. You can also use the same setup without the extender to mount the wire wheel where the grinding wheel normally goes.

advmachinery.com is the most complete source of Tormek parts in the US and a good reference worldwide.

As an alternative, I used a second leather honing wheel with valve grinding compound. It is more aggressive than the Tormek PA-70 honing compound. It removes rust and staining more aggressively, but does not leave as polished surface.

Have you tried using a Scotchbrite wheel? I use a Scotchbrite belt with my belt grinder. I like the extrafine belt. I modified my Viel belt grinder with a variable speed DC motor. You can find modifications at bessex.com.

Ken

PS you will need a 5/8" wire wheel.