News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond doesn't polish the edge

Started by Sharpco, June 03, 2019, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

https://youtu.be/kO1dyGxa3Rg

I applied 5 micron diamond paste on the Tormek leather wheel.(Tormek paste is 3 micron)

But It doesn't polish the edge. What did I do wrong?

wootz

Diamond and CBN based compounds cause deep and narrow scratches on the edge bevels, while conventional abrasives (aluminium oxide, silicon carbide, chromium oxide etc) – shallow; when mirror finish is the goal, bevels should be honed with conventional abrasives.

BTW, if yo are not happy with the honing compound on your leather wheel, you can change it by removing with WD-40 and lots of rags

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on June 03, 2019, 11:51:45 AM
Diamond and CBN based compounds cause deep and narrow scratches on the edge bevels, while conventional abrasives (aluminium oxide, silicon carbide, chromium oxide etc) – shallow; when mirror finish is the goal, bevels should be honed with conventional abrasives.

Thank you wootz.

But it doesn't remove even 1000 grit scratches as well as its color hardly changes.(blue -> black)

As you know, with the same 5 micron diamond paste, the paper wheel polishes edge.

so, IMHO, I don't think this diamond paste is suitable for Tormek leather wheel.

wootz

Sure, that's the way it is.
By my experience, leather works well with diamonds up to 2-3 microns, while paper wheels up to 10 microns.