News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Arkansas Reality ( a differnt knife jig)

Started by Riverman, April 23, 2019, 04:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverman

Gleaned  lots of valuable info from different jig and came up with this,using a Brass propane T fitting,parts from Tormek and other jigs.So far it seems to work.Thanks all for the insights.Regards,Steve

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Cannot beat that!  Nice thinking. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

wootz

The Robert Sorby ProEdge - Knife Holder clamp, used in this jig, is not self-centering, its lower "jaw" is dead-welded.
I strain my brains but can't understand how this jig may help with getting bevels the same height on both sides.
Would you mind explaining please?

Ken S

Steve,

Your design is clever. I especially like the use of the brass propane T fitting.

Wootz makes a good point about the Sorby jig not being self centering. We seem to have two issues with the Tormek knife jigs: 1) Pivoting for sharp curves and 2) self centering to compensate for different knife thicknesses. Your design (and some other designs) have made excellent progress with the pivoting issue. We are still lagging a bit with the self centering issue.

Let's all keep working.

Ken

Riverman

The self centering of the jig, was a misquote on my part.Whoops!! 8)

Ken S

Steve,

I see the self centering situation as a temporary set back which we will eventually solve. We keep raising the expectations bar.

Keep up the good work!

Ken