News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US-400 available

Started by Ken S, February 08, 2019, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Elden on February 09, 2019, 01:27:55 AM
Consider making your own with longer legs such as Robin's has but with the horizontal bar of the US-400?

I'm not sure who you're asking... but I tried to find someone to make one... and the only place I could find that would even do it, wanted about $150... and he wouldn't even guarantee it would be perfect 90° angles!  :o

Nobody else would even bother with it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Elden

I was saying make it yourself, only making the legs longer. The threading for the micro adjust would be much more easily done before welding. If it is not square, then you have no one to blame but yourself.  :-\
Elden

wootz

Here is the US400 compared to the regular US-105:

The US400 horizontal bar length is 43cm (~ 17"), with the short arm of 6cm.
The legs are of the same length of 15cm in both the US400 and US-105.

cbwx34

Quote from: Elden on February 09, 2019, 05:27:53 AM
I was saying make it yourself, only making the legs longer. The threading for the micro adjust would be much more easily done before welding. If it is not square, then you have no one to blame but yourself.  :-\

I would have to blame someone else... I don't weld.  :D

Ken S

Anyone wanting to "do it yourself" making a variation on the universal support bar will run into the same situation that Robin Bailey did originally. Unless one happens to be a skilled and tool equipped welder and machinist, the cost of having a "one off" product far exceeds the price of a ready made product including shipping across the globe. When comparing the price of a Tormek made support bar accurately welded from stainless steel and threaded with the proper12mm Acme thread to the effort and expense of doing it locally, the Tormek product is a bargain. When Robin first offered them to the forum, he needed to sell ten units to provide them at a reasonable price.

Very few Tormek users really need a US-400. Those who do are presumably either professionals or very avid amateurs.

Ken

wderke

UPDATE: We have 4 left right now. We expect to have 25 more available, but not until April. I would suggest that anyone interested in getting one order asap. Our experience is that limited shipments usually sell out before we receive them. This has been the case with the diamond wheels where we will just next week be getting the rest of what we ordered LAST MARCH, 11 months ago, resulting in continuous customer back orders.

Wolfgang

PS  We only raised the price of the US-400 without the Micro Adjust by $1 since we learned that the shipping cost is considerably higher than what we charged at $49.95, and I think everyone chose the option with the Micro-Adjust anyway. We only offered it without the Micro-Adjust because that is how Tormek supplies it - we have to buy the Micro-Adjust separately for these supports.

Ken S

Thanks for the update, Wolfgang.

Ken

wderke

I am sorry to report that yesterday we were informed that Tormek is not producing any more US-400 and that our order has been cancelled. We have been sold out and refunded the pre-orders we received for the anticipated April shipment. I don't know that Tormek can be moved to manufacture more of these - it is probably not cost effective.

Wolfgang

GeoTech

What is Tormek thinking? They make these US-400's and they always sell out, why not make more? Come on Tormek, keep on making them. Please.

cbwx34

Guess my dream of reviving the T-4000... are pretty remote... :(

Buh bye....

Ken S

I regret that the US-400 is not currently being manufactured. If the company bean counters are concerned about how long the last batch required to sell out, I hope the remember that their existance has been probably the best kept Tormek secret.

Wolfgang, while we have you online with us, I have many questions from members interested in purchasing a T2. My frustration is that I wish they could actually see and try a T2 before purchasing one. One recent question was from a very experienced sharpener friend who lives in Virginia Beach, about a four hour drive from your store. I suggested he contact you and try to arrange a visit and chance to use the T2.

For most buyers, it is almost impossible to see and use a T2 before purchasing. The Tormek dealer stores I have seen generally have a sad looking T7 on a low shelf and perhaps a T4 in a sealed box. I have never seen a T2 at a dealer. I can understand why a dealer would not like the idea, however, the best opportunity I have found for a prospective customer is to purchase one from you (delawarewolf) through Amazon, with the thirty day return privelage. I would certainly strongly suggest that only serious buyers do this.

Do you have any other suggestions for a T2 buyer to see before buying?

Incidentally, your parts service is invaluable. Thank you.

Ken

wderke

Thanks Ken.

Regarding your comments on seeing and trying a Tormek Sharpening machine before purchasing it, particularly the T-2, your are correct - it is pretty much impossible.

I would also tell you that given the small dealer margins on Tormek Machines, the ever increasing shipping costs and the substantial selling fees Amazon and eBay charge, there is close to no profit selling a T-4 or T-2 on those sites. Getting a return per Amazon's and eBay's ridiculously easy return policies doubles the shipping cost and definitely puts us in the hole, in addition to the fact that we then have a used machine which can no longer be sold as new. That is why we reduce refunds by shipping costs, in and out, as well deducting the fees Amazon retains on returns, when customers return items to us that are not defective.

My best suggestion is to look at the videos on the T-2. There are 2 on our page:

https://www.advmachinery.com/products/tormek-t-2-pro-kitchen-knife-sharpener

The first is the flashy Tormek commercial, but the second at the bottom of the page, which we now have in English, shows how to set up and use the machine and I believe provides enough information for someone to decide whether or not they want to purchase this easy to use very specialized machine.

Wolfgang

jeffs55

You can test drive a $50k automobile but not a $500 or $800 machine. I get the fees on eBarf are prohibitive when you have to also accept Paypal payments. Just do not sell there or Amazon if the same problems exist. I have been bitten in the ass by their policies. You can only sell there if you have basically nothing money wise in your product. The Tormeks can still be set up in house for test drives.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

I hope you are right in stating that the Tormeks can be set up in house for test drives. If one asks, will the local dealer do such a set up? Does the store have a sales person skilled with the Tormek to make a sale with a demo? Will the store management allow enough time for that demo? What about a T4 or T2?

From the customer point of view, is he willing to drive to the store? I would be willing; I drive the three hours each direction to Hartville Hardware occcasionally. Would most customers do that?

I think the practical answer is more practical, in depth videos from Tormek and its agents.

Ken