News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What kind of leather is the honing wheel?

Started by Sharpco, February 06, 2019, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I want to make strop with the same leather as the honing wheel. Do you know what kind of leather is it?

Ken S

For a specific answer, support would be the people to ask.  (support@tormek.se)

On a more general level, I would guess it is a typical leather, as opposed to something exotic. I wonder what the practical gain would be in trying to duplicate it.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 06, 2019, 05:28:06 PM

On a more general level, I would guess it is a typical leather, as opposed to something exotic. I wonder what the practical gain would be in trying to duplicate it.

Ken

Read my mind.  8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

wootz

4-5 gentle strokes on a clean leather hanging strop make a great difference to the apex keenness; knife sharpeners take this from straight razor users, they finish their straight razor sharpening this way, and also do it before each shaving.

Horse full grain leather, and kangaroo tail are regarded best for hanging strops. But it was by SHARPCO advice that I also started using suede when more aggressive edge cleaning is needed. So my hanging strop is now 2-sided: horse leather, and suede. When it wears off or rather gets too many accidental cuts and scratches, I will replace the horse side with kangaroo tail.

SHARPCO I anyway planned to send you the 3rd revised edition of my Knife Deburring book as a gift when it comes from the publisher by the end of February, and can add to the parcel a kangaroo tail, I have a spare one 600 x 50 mm - just wait for a few weeks, mate.

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on February 06, 2019, 05:28:06 PM

Ken

Ken.

I already asked them, but I haven't received and answer yet. They will reply one day, but I wanted to hear forumers comments for the crosscheck.

It looks like suede, but I feel a little different. It seems to have been specially processed. Of course the quality is excellent.

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on February 06, 2019, 08:07:48 PM
4-5 gentle strokes on a clean leather hanging strop make a great difference to the apex keenness; knife sharpeners take this from straight razor users, they finish their straight razor sharpening this way, and also do it before each shaving.

Horse full grain leather, and kangaroo tail are regarded best for hanging strops. But it was by SHARPCO advice that I also started using suede when more aggressive edge cleaning is needed. So my hanging strop is now 2-sided: horse leather, and suede. When it wears off or rather gets too many accidental cuts and scratches, I will replace the horse side with kangaroo tail.

SHARPCO I anyway planned to send you the 3rd revised edition of my Knife Deburring book as a gift when it comes from the publisher by the end of February, and can add to the parcel a kangaroo tail, I have a spare one 600 x 50 mm - just wait for a few weeks, mate.

Oh! I very appreciate it Vadim :)

A few weeks ago, I introduced you to Korean on my Blog.
The title is "[Great knife sharpening expert] Knife Grinders in Australia"

https://glesser.blog.me/221429829147

I'm much glad that my idea has helped you.

wootz

Nothing to thank for, there are too many kangaroos around here begging us to make strops of their tails.
I am really touched by seeing myself and my gadgets on your blog.
Australia + Korea = friends forever!

jeffs55

Kangaroos are scarce in the USA. The only ones that I am aware of reside in zoos and they do not let you harvest them.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

John_B

Does anyone have a recommendation for a video or write up on how to use a strop correctly? Having never used one I do  not want to begin with bad habits. Also for knives is there any difference in the results when you use one that is hanging or leather glued to a piece of wood?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on February 07, 2019, 10:34:41 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a video or write up on how to use a strop correctly? Having never used one I do  not want to begin with bad habits. Also for knives is there any difference in the results when you use one that is hanging or leather glued to a piece of wood?

My .02... hanging strops are for razors... for knives 🔪 get a mounted one.  The firmer the better.  An alternative that I use more than a leather strop is the "Washboard Sharpening System" strop.  Works great, and gives good feedback.

Can't think of a good video right now...  :(
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 08, 2019, 04:04:10 AM

My .02... hanging strops are for razors... for knives 🔪 get a mounted one.  The firmer the better.  An alternative that I use more than a leather strop is the "Washboard Sharpening System" strop.  Works great, and gives good feedback.

Can't think of a good video right now...  :(

Thanks cbwx34

It's interesting product.

Sharpco

How about Jende Nanocloth strop? You can feel the feedback on it.