News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dressing water stone

Started by jwv162, November 19, 2018, 08:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwv162

Is it possible to dress the tormek water stone with the tormek wheel dresser? The wheel seems very soft and crumbles when to touch it with a sharp point.  Also is it necessary to clean the wheel?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, John.

Yes, it is very possible to dress the "Original" Tormek grinding wheels with the TT-50 Tormek truing tool. (I mean the SG, SB, and SJ). My personal preference is to take several very light cuts, meaning about half a number with the microadjust. I have used heavier cuts at times successfully. I just feel more comfortable with light cuts. I have never had a problem with any of the grinding wheels crumbling.

If you true your wheel frequently with a very light cut, your wheel will cut optimally and you will soon become very fluent with the TT-50.That is one of the vital skills with the Tormek. Pay close attention with your eyes and ears. Once the truing is no longer intermittent, and you can see and feel the entire wheel being trued, stop. You have a true wheel. "Once more for good measure" just wears away your wheel.

Ken

jwv162

Ken S

You are very welcome, John.

Please do not hesitate to post, sharing both your questions and your experiences.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: jwv162 on November 19, 2018, 08:19:41 AM
Is it possible to dress the tormek water stone with the tormek wheel dresser? The wheel seems very soft and crumbles when to touch it with a sharp point.  Also is it necessary to clean the wheel?

Ken addressed your question about dressing the SJ wheel, which I largely agree with.  In my case, I use smaller increments, 1/4 turn or less sometimes of the Micro Adjust nut. 

As for cleaning, yes, I think it is good to clean it.  Necessary? I don't know.  I first got a Nagura Stone for cleaning, which worked pretty well.  Subsequently, I got a set of two "Japanese" rust erasers (do not have a link at the moment).  They work wonderfully. 

I also use the 1000 grit diamond plate that I got from Ken S. to "dress" the wheel in between "truings".  This should have been couched in the past tense, however, as I recently destroyed my SJ wheel and have not replaced it yet. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.