News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SB-650 Stone Grader

Started by jrh45acp, May 01, 2018, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrh45acp

Greetings to you all.  I'm a new member, and a sharpening amateur.  I noticed after a few uses that the SB-650 Stone Grader is loading up with what appears to be steel cleaned off the grinding wheel.  To me, that would seem to make the stone grader less effective, so I have been taking it occasionally  into the kitchen and scrubbing it with dish soap and nylon bristle brush.  Is this necessary?

Thanks for your thoughts,

John in Arizona

cbwx34

Quote from: jrh45acp on May 01, 2018, 08:16:14 PM
Greetings to you all.  I'm a new member, and a sharpening amateur.  I noticed after a few uses that the SB-650 Stone Grader is loading up with what appears to be steel cleaned off the grinding wheel.  To me, that would seem to make the stone grader less effective, so I have been taking it occasionally  into the kitchen and scrubbing it with dish soap and nylon bristle brush.  Is this necessary?

Thanks for your thoughts,

John in Arizona

Welcome to the forum.

I would vote... not necessary.  The stone may load a bit, but I've never had it load to the point where it wasn't effective, and I have never cleaned mine..  The stone will wear a little, which should keep it cleaned out.

It's possible you may not be using enough pressure for the stone to be effective?  It takes a bit of pressure (and time) for the stone to work.  Take a look at this video...

https://youtu.be/pQRtKgou-gg?t=53s

... notice how after a bit of time he puts his palm on the stone and applies a decent amount of pressure to it... (and keeps it there for about 30 seconds).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jrh45acp

Thank you for your thoughts. 

I have very much enjoyed using my new Tormek T8, and already have some tools I could never quite get an edge on, very sharp.

John in Arizona