News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Drop point knives

Started by Crusty, December 03, 2017, 01:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on December 12, 2017, 01:57:40 AM
I use a small platform bolted to the base of the scissors jig to sharpen all of my knives. About the only thing I use the SVM-45 for is lawn mower blades or the like.

Herman,

It probably doesn't really matter, but I am curious how long your platform is.  I am making one and the material that I have that is best suited is about 130 mm wide (5 1/8"). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: RickKrung on January 07, 2018, 12:08:01 AM
Quote from: Herman Trivilino on December 12, 2017, 01:57:40 AM
I use a small platform bolted to the base of the scissors jig to sharpen all of my knives. About the only thing I use the SVM-45 for is lawn mower blades or the like.

Herman,

It probably doesn't really matter, but I am curious how long your platform is.  I am making one and the material that I have that is best suited is about 130 mm wide (5 1/8"). 

Rick

I found a reference in one of your posts that the stock you started with was about 10", for making two of them and having something long enough for cutting the concavity along the front edge.  I think my piece of aluminum will do.  I only have 3" drum sander for making the concavity.  Not as pretty, but at least it provide the relief needed.  It's actually more convex than concave, but I think it will go better when I put the metal cutting belt on it. 

A different question.  Why all the way to one side of the scissors jig base?  Why not in the middle? 

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: RickKrung on January 07, 2018, 12:37:12 AM
A different question.  Why all the way to one side of the scissors jig base?  Why not in the middle? 

Thanks,

Rick

I found out why.  The scissors platform interferes with the vertical USB post.

It doesn't when used grinding away from the knife, but the stone tends to grab the knife and pull it up. 

Modified the platform to place it on the far left of the scissors platform and put it up in the "grinding into" position.  Setting the angle is a little tricky.  But MAN! I like this platform. 

I tried it first on a really cheap knife from a thrift store.  I can hardly believe how uniform the bevel is.  It also just has a more natural feel to it..  The knife shown is by far the most consistent I've achieved. I was afraid of free-handing, but if this result continues, I may be in love with it.   

Rick

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Second and third knives were a bit more of a hassle.  Second one was the same cheap brand as the first but was longer and more narrow.  Seemed like the SB stone wasn't cutting as well.  I graded it coarse, but it didn't seem to make much difference.  Got it done eventually.  Wasn't too bad, but I did start to notice longitudinal scratches, as if the debris from the stone and knife were getting on the platform.

Third on was one of my Leatherman Waves.  I had a lot more trouble with it and I think it is because of the angles on the side of the blade.  Up on the spine, there is a narrow part that is flat and parallel.  But it was very difficult to hold the blade on that flat.  I wonder if it wouldn't have worked better to have used the wider ground portion.  I tried that a little towards the end.  This one might be a better candidate for the knife jig. 

More work to figure things out. 

Rick

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on January 07, 2018, 05:04:46 AM
Third on was one of my Leatherman Waves.  I had a lot more trouble with it and I think it is because of the angles on the side of the blade.  Up on the spine, there is a narrow part that is flat and parallel.  But it was very difficult to hold the blade on that flat.  I wonder if it wouldn't have worked better to have used the wider ground portion.  I tried that a little towards the end.  This one might be a better candidate for the knife jig. 

More work to figure things out. 

Rick

I would think this knife would be a better candidate for the platform?  You're probably right... it would have been better to use the wider portion of the blade on the guide... I'm guessing the wheel probably tried to 'pull' the knife down toward that part of the blade anyway.  (Of course, you'd need to adjust the angle of the platform to compensate).

Are the scratches on the side of the blade (especially on the 2nd knife), from the platform, or something else?

For only 3 knives... looks like it's going well though.  You probably picked a harder knife (knife 3) to practice on... since it's sorta small.  I wouldn't worry about the problems with it... maybe just set it aside and come back after a little more practice... I think it'll work out better.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)