News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Pizza Wheel on the Tormek?

Started by kuhnikuehnast, November 03, 2016, 05:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuhnikuehnast

Hi there!
Has anybody ever tried to sharpen a pizza wheel on the Tormek? And if yes, how did you get it? Either the wheel turns in almost the same speed as the tormek, or the sharpening gets unevenly...

Please help! :-)

greetings from Germany kuhni

grepper

Welcome to the forum.  :)

I've done it with both removable and non-removable cutter wheels.

I did it by finding some more or less stable way of resting the wheel so the blade was perpendicular to the grindstone and then turning the wheel by hand, pulling the cutter away from the stone after each partial rotation of the cutter wheel so as not to continue grinding in one spot while readjusting my hand to further turn the wheel.

It worked pretty well, but the bevel was not absolutely perfect with slight variations in the bevel width.  That said, I was able to get them plenty sharp enough to cut pizza.   It is, after all, just a pizza cutter.

Now... I'm sure if you really cared enough it would be possible to make a jig by putting a bolt through the scissors or tool rest to more securely hold the cutter wheel.  You could probably even conjure up a motorized version with a drill or something similar.

Of course they make machines designed for circular blades and if you were doing them commercially that would be the way to go.

My perfection threshold for a home pizza cutter was not nearly so exalted as to buy a machine or to bother creating a jig, and the humble method I described worked well enough for me.  It is, after all, just a pizza cutter.

SharpenADullWitt

The pizza cutters I have used, have been more the machete style.  I do know someone that created one that looks like a bicycle years ago.  Anyway, is the blade removable I would think would be the key thing.  I am thinking the turning cutter attachment, for the 185 or 186 jig would work on those.  For a non removable one, I would think Tormek itself might be of some help.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

RichColvin

If the wheel is removable, how about spinning it at an even rate using a drill ?  That is how I was taught to sharpen a TIG probe for welding.  Here's an example (around 1 minute in) :  https://youtu.be/b9OQYysry1I

This should make the edge consistent.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

WolfY

Yes I did a round knife used on kebab cutter. Used drill with parts of SVD-185 and a bolt through it. Got good result but don't like this job to do :)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.