News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Turning the machine

Started by Hatchcanyon, September 30, 2016, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Thanks for your clarification, Rolf (Hatchcanyon).  :)

I mostly try to sharpen with relatively little pressure, because a lot of pressure slightly changes the edge angle and the bevel geometry which makes future re-sharpening not easily repeatable. Of course there are situations when a light touch does not solve our task.

Jan

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Ken S on October 02, 2016, 09:02:08 PM
By eliminating the need to work and look over the machine, an operator would be comfortable using a slightly higher table.

Hve recognized your saying quite late....

Yes, we talked about machine height recently and I preferred a higher table than others. This might be the reason why I feel much more comfortable with a higher stand.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

One of the things which fascinates me with the Tormek is its versatility. Unlike dry grinders, we can rotate a Tormek;use it either grinding into or trailing from the tool, and use it at different heights.

Quite a tool.

Ken

Ken S

While we are discussing pressure, I would like to note that I have found that the SB-250 blackstone cuts more effectively with lighter pressure. This is the opposite of the SG general stone. In fact, I prefer the horizontal, grinding away position with the SB.

Ken

grepper

I found sharpening with the wheel rotation was far more forgiving, controlled and I prefer most of the time.  It might take a little longer, but it's far easier than trying to stick steel back on the blade. 

Of course if you are trying to hog off metal sharpening into the wheel is more effective.  I guess it just depends on what you are trying to do and what you prefer.

Ken S

I agree, Grepper. A typical sharpening session for me rarely involves more than three or four tools. If they are my own tools, I hope I have been wise enough to sharpen early and often. If so, very little steel is removed. I would feel differently if I owned a busy sharpening service. (If I did, I would have my Norton 3X wheels always at the ready for deep nicks and reshaping. They convert the Tormek into a cool running, dustless turbo charged machine. However, Most of the time an extra minute at the Tormek presents no constraint, and, like Grepper, I like the control.

Ken