News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Conversation with Stig

Started by Ken S, September 05, 2016, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I recently had the very rare pleasure of a delightful dinner with Stig. For guests and new members, Stig Reitan is Tormek's representative to Scandinavia (minus Sweden) and the United States. He is also in charge of Tormek's training and support. Getting Stig to stay in one place long enough for dinner is unusual.

I had met Stig twice before. The first meeting was a last minute chance to meet at my local Woodcraft store in Columbus. Stig was traveling between Cleveland for a meeting with Steve Bottorff and Parkersburg, West Virginia to meet with Woodcraft. It was an opportunity to finally meet Stig, Sam (a representative of Affinity Tool, the US importer), and see the new T4.

The second meeting was at Hartville, Ohio. Stig was traveling with Mike and Craig of Affinity to show the new T8 and SE-77 to the Hartville Hardware team. As a forty year Hartville customer,  I knew the three members of Hartville's staff. Both meetings were informative, enjoyable and brief.

Dinner was a welcome change. We had a chance to chat about old VW transporters, family, and, of course, many things Tormek. The atmosphere was relaxing and the conversation stimulating. I want to share some of the conversation with the forum.

Stig mentioned how often Alan Holtham's excellent video on using the DBS-22 drill bit jig has been accessed. This was no surprise, as I watch it every time before sharpening drill bits. In my opinion, the DBS-22 is Tormek's most advanced jig. It is an excellent product, but requires some skill to use well. Alan Holtham's video does a first rate job of explaining how to use it.

Stig and I have some different sharpening habits, which is a very good thing. I always want to learn new things. In the relaxed atmosphere of dinner conversation, we could discuss things which might be too much information for a beginner. I am particularly fascinated with Stig's ability to use the stone grader to obtain in between amounts of stone coarseness. I have much to learn.

Stig has mentioned sharpening and more frequently using just the leather honing wheel on his personal knives. He stressed the importance of knowing when to sharpen (or use the leather honing wheel). This fits with my philosophy of the versatility of the Tormek; it is capable of good, consistently solid sharpening in the hands of a beginner and very sophisticated, subtle sharpening in skilled hands.

I hope the evening was as pleasant for Stig as it was for me.

Ken

ps Stumpy Nubs' you tube interview with Stig is a very good introduction to Stig as well as quite informative about the Tormek.

stevebot

Looking for the Like button to click.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.