News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone Off?

Started by topconker, June 05, 2016, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topconker

I've not used my Tormek for some months now and wonder should I take the stone off until I use it the next time?

Any thoughts?
TC

Ken S

Good question, TC.

I don't think it really matters, especially with the newer stainless steel shafts. I do think that removing the grindstone between sharpening sessions would have eliminated the rusted nut and stone to shaft problem with the pre 2006 regular steel shafts.

I would lean toward removing the wheel. That's just my opinion.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

It is my understanding they still recommend greasing the shaft and bushings, once a year.  If your wondering about if you should take the stone off, I would at least long enough to do that, then either leave it off, or store it on, depending on if you have a place to keep it from damage. (rather it be on the Tormek, then somewhere it might fall)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good comments, SADW.

I reminded of one of the too many proberbs of Sancho Panza in "Man of la Mancha":

"Whether the pitcher hits the stone of the stone hits the pitcher, it's going to be bad for the pitcher.".... Choose your storage place for your grinding wheels carefully.

Ken