News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Metal lathe tools

Started by malced, November 25, 2010, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malced

I saw a thread on here recently about sharpening HSS metal lathe tools.

I recently made a couple of jigs to fit my Tormek 2000 for sharpening these tools. I have found that the fine finish I can get, particularly on thread cutting tools makes a significant difference to the quality of the finish I can achieve on my lathe.

I have tried to upload some images of them but being a computor 'dummy' I have been unsuccessful. If someone could give me an 'idiots guide' on how to do this I would be grateful!

courierdog

I tried this yesterday, Oct 13, 2013
I have pictures of my set up procedures, but, like you I am not sure how to post images (photos)
I am very satisfied with the results
The Tormek is far easier to use than my bench grinder.
1. I did not burn my fingers
2. I did not have to deal with the toxic metal dust associated with grinding HSS Metal Lathe bits
3. The finish is almost that of a mirror
4. The ease of setup is simple
5. The grinding process is very controllable
I would appreciate hearing other observations
Retired Engineer

Jeff Farris

This is an application that most of us have never considered, but it's great to read such positive results.
Jeff Farris

RobinW

Malced - If you go to the following page on the forum, there are six pages of how some of us have got up the learning curve of posting photos (complete with the incompatibilities experienced). Takes a while to troll through it all, but you will find all the answers there.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1537.0

PGB1

If you guys get the photos to upload, it would be great to see your jigs!
I, too, plan to use the Tormek for HSS lathe tooling (along with my wood tools, of course).
Why not have the best possible edge & finish on those too? I'd love to have the extreme control that the Tormek provides while sharpening those tools. I'll bet they cut beautifully.

I'd imagine putting chip breakers in would still be done on the bench grinder, sparing the Tormek's stone from the trauma. But it would be great to have a mirror finish on the HSS cutting edge.

Thanks,
Paul

PS: I was also lost on the photo thing. It wasn't too bad once I learned (here) about photobucket.
I opened an account (free) at photobucket.
They walked my computer-ignorant self through their uploading process.  (Pretty much drag & drop)

On my Mac (Hopefully WIndows & Linux are the same) here's the play-by-play:

(I don't know how to re-size, but the link that Robin W posted explains it very nicely.)

At photobucket-
Right-click on one of your newly uploaded photos and choose "Copy URL". Don't choose "Copy Photo"

Click in the typing box on this discussion baoard where you want your photo.

Now click the box above this typing box that is in the lower row, left side.
    Hovering over it produced a pop-up bubble saying "Insert Image"  The icon is too small for me to see what it is.

After clicking it, in the typing box, these show up where you last clicked in this typing box [IMG] [IMG]

Right click in between them & chose "Paste"

There was the photo.

Maybe this is the long way, but it was the best I found. Hope it helps.

courierdog

I still wish I could upload my pictures to the Tormek Community.
My experience so far is as follows:
1. Speed use a Bench grinder, veery hot on the fingers
2. Clean, well defined edges, Tormek with Blackstone Silicon stone,
3. I fine it difficult to sharpen Metal Lathe Tool Bits with the stone running away from the tool bit
4. I do find it easier to sharpen Metal Lathe Tool Bits with the Stone rotating toward the tool bit.
5. Working with the Tormek in the Vertical mode is not safe for Metal Lathe Tool Bits.
6. a rear mounted tool rest would be safer and easier to work on the smaller Metal Lathe Tool bits.
7. Further tests prove the Tormek sharpened Metal Lathe Tool Bits turn and face with a finer finish.
I would appreciate any comments and suggestions to improve my experience with the Tormek.
Thanks
Retired Engineer

CleanCut

Drill bits are "HSS". Are they not as hard as the metal lathe tools?