News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Metal Lathe Tool Grinding

Started by Rick_B, July 14, 2012, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_B

Good morning - been awile since I have stopped in.  I am just starting to grind  high speed steel metal lathe bits and I was wondering if anyone has ever used a Tormek for this?  More specifically, I'm looking for a jig that would provide positioning for the compound angles involved?

Thanks for any suggestions
Rick

Ken S

Interesting question, Rick.  My first thought would be to start with the flat Torlock jig.  Setting the angle of the Torlock to the wheel would adjust for one angle.  Making a pivoting registration stop would cover the second angle.  Having the pivoting registratin stop with the "flat" at an angle would cover the third angle.  One hole through the Torlock to secure the fulcrum point.  An arcing slot also through the Torlock would allow the registration stop to pivot.  Such a project should be easily done by a machinist.

The real question is how practical would it be. 

I hope others will respond.  Keep us posted.

Ken

Rick_B

Thanks Ken - I was also thinking that it might take some real engineering power to develop the jigs.  I'm currently using the tormek tool rest on a slow speed dry grinder but was looking for the magical solution for angle setting.  I think that after a little bit of time I will find that the dry grinder is faster and easier for this particular application. 

Rick

Ken S

Rick I think you are probably right in thinking your dry grinder is the quicker machine for lathe tool bits.  However, if you were on a deserted island with only a Tormek, I'm sure you could get the job done.  The jigging could be quite simple.

I really enjoy the old movie, "A Man for all Seasons".  I consider the Tormek " A Tool for (almost) all Seasons".

Ken

Dakotapix

If I were to go on a deserted island I'd be sure to pick one that has 110v power :)

Ken S

Pick your deserted island carefully!

courierdog

I have been wondering the same thing.
Today I went up my old Tormek 2000 to sharpen my Tangential Tool Bit which is used in the Diamond Tool Holder.
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2%252..
The accompanying grinding fixture holds the tool bit at the correct angle and a simple pass re sharpens the tool bit to an almost mirror finish.
The resulting turning is very much improved over sharpening with a high speed bench grinder.
Today Oct 14, 2013 I did some follow up and took pictures of my set up.

However I am not clear on the process of inserting images into a port on this forum
Retired Engineer

courierdog

Follow Up on Tormek Sharpening.
Test One
I sharpened the one end with the Original Tormek Stone SG-250
Test Two
I sharpened the other end with the Tormek Blackstone Silicon Stone SB-250
The finish is excellent and the edges are burr free.
The real test comes when I am able to fire up the Lathe and verify the cutting ability of the two finishes.
Retired Engineer

courierdog

Follow up on the grinding of the Metal Lathe Tool Bits.
While I use the Eccentric Engineering, Diamond Tool Holder for most of my work there are those who prefer the standard find of a Lathe Tool Bit. A good off the shelf grinding Jig for this is the South Bend Reproduction by Alisam Engineering, http://alisam.com/page/14g9f/Metalworking.html part GJ-01.
This Grinding Jig will enable a person to replicate any Lathe Bit configuration with relative ease and repeatability.
The nicest thing about this Grinding Jig is your hands do not get hot while using it.
If you purchase the complete set of tool bit holders you will be able to hold and grind 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 & 1/2 inch tool bits.
The added simplicity and consistency of the Tormek to set up and grind with ease will mean you will spend more time making chips on the lathe than fighting with a grinder.
Retired Engineer