News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Skinning knives

Started by monty, August 21, 2012, 09:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

Hi, just want to no how other people sharpenen knives with altot of curve in the blade ie: Skinning knives ?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rhino

I have done it.  In theory and in practice, you cannot get the grinding angle exactly the same using a jig.  But I have done it close enough to be happy and have a usable product. 

But as you have asked the question, you have probably surmised that the angle will be different in different parts of the blade.  I try to grind the blade around the same spot of the stone to minimize this effect.  That is, try to keep the grinding part (the part where the knife meets the stone) at a consistent distance from the rod. 

Try clipping the knife to the jig at various points along the back of the blade to see if there is an optimal point.  Practice positioning the knife for grinding with the machine off to see if you can achieve a good angle (or good enough angle at all points).

It helps to make your jig (the knife holder) the correct length.  For example, if you blade is straight for the most part and ends in a quarter circle, position the black plastic stopping part where the the center of the circle would be.  When you get to the end, you pivot around the black jig stop and everything should come out close to the desired angle.

In summary, practice with the machine off and with the jig at various positions along the blade and at various lengths.  You should be able to find a good compromise point for most simple hunting skinner knives.  For the real complex esoteric stuff, I think you need to do freehand.

I am talking about a working grind for a working knife.  If you have a $500 dollar custom collectable knife, then please ask somebody else.

monty

Thanks for your reply i ended up doing it free hand, came up really good.