News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a knife 'Not too Sharp'?

Started by Smitth8273, July 04, 2012, 07:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitth8273

From time to time I am asked to sharpen knives — but they request them 'not too sharp.' Some times the knives are for their adult children, once the guy's wife simply does not like a very sharp knife.

Is their a method or particular angle that I could do to sharpen a knife — but still keep these people happy?

Thanks!

Herman Trivilino

Yes.  Sharpen the knife at a bigger (more blunt) angle.  It won't cut as well, but it will be a more durable edge.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Dana.  I agree with Herman about using a more blunt angle.

I actually spend more time with the kitchen cutting board than with sharpening.  (I do the chopping and my wife does the cooking.)  I understand that  you should honor the knife owner's request for not quite sharp.  However, it is unfortunate that people feel that way.  Some customer education might be in order.

IMHO, most of the cutting boards sold are inadequate.  We live in a culture of large televisions and miniature cutting boards.  My cutting board is 18x24" and a couple inches thick.  I bought it many years ago at Williams Sonoma.  (It is made by John Boos Co.)  It was not cheap, nor is a Tormek.  However, both will give a lifetime of service. The larger work area makes life more pleasant, just like parking a car in a larger space.  You don't have to worry about over cutting the tiny board.

A well made, well sharpened knife is a joy to use.  It requires much less effort to use and allows much more control.  I enjoy my cutting time in the kitchen.....when the knives are sharp.  The greater control from using less force makes the cutting safer.

Many years ago on television, Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet", used to stress the importance of keeping your fingertips rolled under while chopping.  There is a learning curve with using kitchen knives.  Learning how to tie a bowline or taut hitch knot requires a little study. Becoming fluent with a computer likewise.  Our home cooking culture is learning the value of well designed and made heavier pans to help prevent burning food.  We need to learn the value and pleasure of proper preparation with sharp knives and cutting board.

By the way, "sharp" for kitchen knives doesn't mean highly polished.  Unlike woodworking tools, the blade should have a bit of "tooth" to prevent it from just sliding over the food.  The fine stone grit (1000) is a good place to start, and don't go too far beyond it.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Smitth8273

I usually do a double bevel — 15% (each side) followed by a 20%

Suggestions for a more blunt angle? Perhaps a single 30% on each side?

Herman Trivilino

I would guess about 25 degrees on each side.  I usually sharpen my knives in the 15 to 20 degree range.
Origin: Big Bang