News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How often should I be truing the stone?

Started by Mike Fairleigh, May 05, 2012, 02:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Fairleigh

I have the standard stone and am re-profiling my first plane iron - a 2" wide, 3/16" thick, flat-ground blade.  So far I've been grinding away for over an hour and am only about 2/3 through the flat bevel.  I've graded the stone 6-8 times with the coarse side of the grading stone, but the stone still seems glazed.  I know that if I make a pass with the truing jig, the stone will then cut through that bevel in about 20 seconds - but that seems like an extreme thing to have to do, just to do a standard re-profile.  And with the number of chisels and irons I need to do, I'll be replacing the stone in no time at all it seems.

Am I doing something wrong?
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

Once you get the grindstone free of glaze, it should last a long time before it needs to be trued.  Are you keeping the water in the trough clean?
Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Jeff Farris

Mike,

Tip the coarse side of the grader up so that only the corner is engaging the grindstone surface. That will bring back the aggressive cutting surface faster that using it flat.
Jeff Farris

Mike Fairleigh

Mike