News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is water the only fluid for grinding?

Started by Sergio, February 14, 2012, 01:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergio

Hello, I have a workshop that is heated by expensive electric heaters. Often I do not use it for a few days so I would like to turn off the heater but then the temperature could easily drip below freezing temperature.
Here is my question. Since the grinding stone absorb water, as demonstrated by the reduction of the water in the tray when it is first immersed, I'm afraid it will crack if left wet in the freezing temperature. To prevent this, besides using the heaters would it be possible to use a different liquid for grinding or is the water the only lubricant? Would an antifreeze, perhaps the type that is compatible with septic systems be feasible?
Thanks.

Herman Trivilino

If the shop is insulated it shouldn't cool that fast.  As long as you remember to empty the water tray, the stone should dry out before it freezes.   
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Additives will reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of your grindstone. Specifically, anti-freeze has additives designed to eliminate abrasion --- not a good thing.

While Herman is right that in most cases the stone will dry before the room temperature gets below freezing the the best practice in harsh winter conditions is to remove your grindstone and take it in the house with you, until it is completely dry.
Jeff Farris

Sergio