News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

NeatsFoot Oil

Started by Luthier, May 14, 2011, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luthier

Is NeatsFoot oil a good oil to use on the leather wheel or will it make it to soft?

mGuitars

I'm not familiar with that one, but I can't recommend-enough to use pure "Mineral Oil"!  I will never use any other oil on my honing wheel besides that again!  I got mine at Target in the Pharmacy section.  I think the bottle and was a couple of bucks and will last me a lifetime.

Herman Trivilino

You can rub mineral oil into the handles on your kitchen knifes.  I do it after sharpening and cleaning them.
Origin: Big Bang

GIPPER

Luthier, I remember using Neatfoots oil on my baseball gloves and catcher's mit some 60 years ago.  Is that stuff still around?  Did a good job on the gloves, but I'd question whether or not it is as good as the current Mineral Oil, or even 3-in-1-Oil.  Gipper

Steve Brown

Based on Ionut's suggestion, I have used tool sharpening oil such as Norton. It's mineral oil based, not as thick. I'd suggest being careful with 3-in-1, it can be overkill. Seems like we have a nice thing going with mGuitars and Luthier. Do you guys actually make instruments?
Steve

mGuitars

Steve:

I recommend avoiding 3-in-1 oil like the plague!  I nearly ruined my honing wheel with that stuff!

And, Yes.  I make guitars electric guitars and basses.  I'm looking to do acoustic guitars down the road as well.

Steve Brown

mGuitars,
I'm starting Red Rocks Community College in the Fall in their Luthier program. I'll be making acoustical, electric and classical. Let's stay in touch. As I said, I have used that Norton's sharpening oil with good success. I have an email from Ionut re cleaning up a honing wheel that has been impregnated with too much 3-in-1 if you need it.
Steve

Luthier

Hi all,
When i served my apprenticeship as a cabinet maker and joiner we where taught to use neatsfoot  oil to act as lube for oil-stones its also used in the saddle making business a lot here for for making leather more pliable.
Used to run a firm called Auckland Guitar Repairs now i just teach the guitar and about to start a sharpening business.
Cheers from New Zealand.

mGuitars

That's funny: I used to teach Guitar, now I'd rather make them :)

mGuitars

Steve: My honing wheel is good now, but thanks for the offer.  I started another discussions a couple of months back regarding that subject and that's what led me to the Mineral-Oil.

Regarding the classes: feel free to contact me.  MiddletonGuitars@Gmail.com

glh17

Neatsfoot oil is used on a lot of leather.  I use in it on my leather razor strop, but I used the mineral oil Jeff includes in his Tormek kit on my leather honing wheel.  Neatsfoot might work just as well but I stuck to the mineral oil.  Neatsfoot oil is still available at some sporting goods and shoe stores.  I think you can also get it from either ebay or amazon.