News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

weak grindstone power

Started by Harris, July 16, 2010, 07:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

After about 10 hours of use, my T-3 grindstone stopped turning while the motor was running. Removed leather wheel, and abraded the power take off wheel which helped a bit but not entirely. Any pressure on the grindstone or strop stalled the wheel. Further inspection of the power shaft shows poor connection with the power take off wheel. Shaft seems to be running true. How do I get the shaft in better contact with the tread of the wheel?

Jeff Farris

Harris,

Take a look above the main shaft. There's a metal pin that comes through the plastic. Is the plastic frame nice an tight around that pin, or is the plastic somewhat slotted?
Jeff Farris

Harris

Checked it out. The slot is not round but elongated. It has a shaft protruding. There does not seem to be any wear on the plastic case.

I am using the Tormek, but it is slow as any pressure stops the wheel. If I wound some tape around the drive shaft it would probably make better contact with the power takeoff wheel, but it 's not to specs, and that "fix" may deteriorate or exacerbate the problem.

What thinks you?

Harris

Jeff Farris

Have you let the machine run for any extended period of time? The motor mount has melted the frame, creating the elongated hole. There's no way for the motor to achieve the correct pressure against the drive wheel.

Where did you buy the machine and when?
Jeff Farris

Harris

Yep... used it for an extended period of time before it (or I) malfunctioned, probably an hour or more. The 30min/hour designation was not clear at all. Now I gather that it means 30 minutes of use in an hour! I ground part of an old plane blade to fit a specialty 1950 Stanley plane for which there are no after-market blades available.

I bought Tormek T-3 last year from Packard, probably in Oct.Nov., used it a bit, then removed it from my shop which is not heated 24/7 because of the zero weather. Re-installed it June. Did not use it much, but it did a superb job on some of my gouges. I'm cutting some oak burl, and the really sharp edges makes it fun again.

So the slot should be a round hole. What are my options to fix?

Thank you so much for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harris

Jeff Farris

I'm not sure. Please contact Affinity Tools, the United States representative for Tormek. Their number is 1-800-586-7635. They will discuss it with the home office and decide what to do. The frame will have to be replaced.
Jeff Farris

Harris

I spoke to Sam @Affinity and explained the situation with graphics and expect to hear from him. 

Meanwhile.... I was able to move the shaft back to it's proper position at the top of the slot. This left space under the shaft, so I filled it with some two-step epoxy which hardens, metal like after an hour. The T-3 works like new, plenty of power on the wheel. "The mother of invention is...."

Thanks to Jeff Farris who diagnosed the problem

I am still interested to find out about getting a new ABS frame or shell, in case the "fix" is not permanent.