News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

MSK-250 - EzyLock Main Shaft Kit

Started by jfreischuetz, July 07, 2010, 08:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfreischuetz

I have a 2000 which I have had for a few years and have not had time to use until now. So it it new in the box.

I was reading about rust on the shaft and was wondering if it would make sense to replace the shaft before using the machine.
How long does it take? Will the machine still be in calibration with respect to the two tool rests?

Any advice would be helpful. Is there a PDF with instructions?

Joe

Jeff Farris

Just speaking personally, I would not change the shaft until you have a problem. The exception would be if you have (and plan to use extensively) the optional stones. Depending on the age of your 2000, it might have a stainless shaft. Those produced from the second half of 2006 until the end of production have a stainless shaft, but with the original right-hand thread. Changing the MSK-250 is not well documented, by the process is very straightforward.
Jeff Farris

jfreischuetz

How do I know if my shaft is stainless?

Many thanks.

Jeff Farris

Square frame = definitely not stainless.

Five-sided frame + very shiny shaft = plated, not stainless.

Five-sided frame + bright, but not reflective shaft = stainless.

Purchased before mid 2006 = not stainless.
Jeff Farris

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jfreischuetz on July 07, 2010, 08:21:09 AM
I was reading about rust on the shaft and was wondering if it would make sense to replace the shaft before using the machine.

The stainless shaft has no effect on any calibration with respect to the two tool rests.

If you empty or remove the water tray when the machine is not in use, and grease the bearings when you hear them squeal, the regular steel shaft should give you many years of service.

If you are interested in purchasing some of the other grinding stones available, the MSK-250 upgrade to the stainless steel shaft will make changing stones a tad easier.
Origin: Big Bang