News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

P&N SUPA Gouge - how to shape and sharpen

Started by Lyle, May 30, 2010, 02:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

I have a P&N Supa Gouge 22mm.  It is one of those deep 'U' shaped fluted chisels.  I think they were touted as a 'deep and strong' gouge used for roughing and bowl work.
It has been hand shaped/sharpened over the years on a bench grinder.  It has multiple bevels as a result.
I'd like to reshape it and sharpen it on my T-7 system.
But I am at a loss as to how.  It barely fits the SVD-185, I have to take out the securing 'foot' and just use the threaded securing knob to clamp it in.  This makes it difficult to align it correctly as it slips off to one side, which would make the grind uneven on the flutes.
I have no idea about the correct angle.  Although Guy from Sutton Tools gave me the original angle as made, 45 degrees +-2.
Anyone got suggestions?
Thanks
Lyle.

Jeff Farris

Lyle,

Take the black plastic ring off your clamping pad and put it back in use. It will fit.

Look at the profiles for the TTS-100.  Either of the spindle gouge profiles should work.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Yep.  But the walls at the flute top are not that thick so I wouldn't put too much of a swept back grind on it.
Cheers,  Ern