News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Does Leather honing wheel on T-3 need lubricated

Started by glassguy, July 30, 2010, 02:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassguy

I saw a video that said the leather wheel on the T-3 needed to be kept "moist" by lubricating with light oil regularly. I can't find anything about this in the instructions (unless I missed it somewhere??) How does everyone else deal with it? Is it fine to just use the honing compound or do I really have to lube it with oil?
thanks and have a good day

Jeff Farris

Well, the reality is somewhere halfway between. Use it once, as a break in procedure only. I suggest mineral oil.
Jeff Farris

Harris

I used some light 3-in-1 oil to break the wheel in. My T-3 came with a tube of lubricant, but I get good results without it on the leather wheel.

Jeff Farris

Harris,

The tube is not a lubricant. It is an abrasive. Your honing wheel will be much more effective with an application of the compound every 2 or 3 tools.
Jeff Farris

glassguy

OK I will give this a try. thank you all for your input and help. (BTW) Tried my new system for first time yesterday sharpening an old, cheap knife (for practice)  WOW even for me... now I got a 'new' Knife! Passed Jeff's paper test! Anyway I realize I am off subject here, but I am truly impressed. Again, thank you for your help.