News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Uneven stone wear

Started by record, May 05, 2010, 10:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

record

Hello grinders.
I recently bought second hand older model tormek and now I know what is the difference between sharp and sharp tools...however my stone wears uneven. What I mean is that outside edge is higher than inside about 1,5 mm. I have trued the stone couple of times but it still is so.
I placed a long squere edge on top of the universal support and checked along the side of the stone and it seems OK.  ???
Also my knife sharpening doesn't go nicely. One side of the blade has example 3mm grinded area but when i grind the other side it has about twice as much the grinded area. I've tried to secure the knife edge 90 degree angle against the SVM-45 jig but...
If you have any tips to improve my grinding I have lot's of knives to practise ;)

Herman Trivilino

Does the grinding stone wobble when it's spinning?  If so, you probably have a bent mainshaft.  That's the only thing I can think of that might cause the truing issue you describe.

As far as the bevel being wider on one side than the other, you have simply ground too much on one side of the knife than the other?

Have you watched the video clips of Jeff sharpening the knife?  (You can find them on this website, or just do a YouTube search).

BTW, how much did you pay for your used Tormek?
Origin: Big Bang

record

The stone doesn't wobble at all. I've tryed to spend equal amount of time on each side while grinding. I'am going to my workshop on weekend and going to do some long term measurements, I'll get back for more information. I have a few tricks to try out.
I've watched pretty much every Tormek grinding video from Youtube at least three times :P, it seems so easy on video. Well, I just have to practise more.
My budget on Tormek was 70 euros which makes about 100 dollar's, I think that the guy who sold it didn't realised what he was selling or he just had enough money allready :D. Now I've spent 140 euros on grinding jigs! and the Tormek is upgraded with the horizontal support.  ;D The stone is now about 230 mm.