News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - flyvert

#1
Sharing a little invention I came up with today.

As my eyesight is fading, I need more light to see what I'm doing... especially at my T8.

The cheap IKEA LED light I got for my old SA-250 several years ago is still doing okay, but leaves a little to be desired. Especially since I apparently managed to time my upgrade with the release of the T-8 Black and a discount at the local store a couple of years ago...

So I went out and bought a new LED light at Clas Ohlson (a local Swedish department store. I guess Google, etc. will tell you what CO is...). On my way back to the car, I took a small detour through IKEA's lighting department. I came out with their Tertial desk lamp and a 5 W, 4000 K bulb (actually sold as a two-pack).

The CO light never even made it out of the box — the 5 W IKEA bulb had convinced me I needed more power. Scotty would have understood.

So, after an evening and a morning of thinking about it, I went back to the mall (if we can call what we have here in Sweden a mall...), returned the CO light and exchanged it for two super-strong magnets that amounted to close to 75% of the total cost. Then I went to Bauhaus and bought 1 m of 16 mm steel tube.

This is what it turned into after some cutting, drilling and mounting.

If anyone from the Tormek team happens to see this: why not add a mount for a lighting solution to the TS-740?
#2
Thanks for all the great work done here!

Tonight I inaugurated the new axe jig, and just as I was swapping out the DF wheel for the DC to work a bit faster... the washer fell onto the workshop floor.

I hope we'll see an improved washer design at some point in the future!

Thumbs up to the local store I visited two weeks ago. It was really nice to see the museum and spend a few minutes with the very helpful staff. The "Sharpen Up" T-shirt really hit the spot!
#3
Quote from: tgbto on August 20, 2026, 10:18:45 AMA question though : I just watched the video on Tormek website on the TS page. The hooks seem to use two squares each on the side of the TS, and there's a quarter turn knob in the lower square that seems to lock the hook in place ?!?!
Argh..... how could I miss that?
Thank you so much!!!
#4
As per the subject, is there some neat trick I can apply to prevent the spacer to come off when I swap between grinding wheels?
#5
Thank you so much - I will ask my 3D-printer friend to print a couple of those for a test!

The space in my garage is limited, especially horizontal flat surfaces other than the floor - surfaces that very quickly attract various things. As with a flat TV, a grinding wheel is best stored upright (and so far in my view) on a wall... who knows I might change my mind after testing your desk stand and finding a free spot for it?

I have been swapping wheels, packing and unpacking the SJ-250 for a long while and therefore been looking at the TS-740 with jealous eyes before I finally decided to invest in it (that stand costs more than a T8...). The idea of gathering all sharpening gear at one place and store up to four sharpening wheels on its sides was very appealing to me. It is really super stable and permit to tuck away a lot of things in its drawers.

I live near Lindesberg and plan to go visit the heart of Tormek some day in the near future, funny how I will probably burst "Hello Sebastien" if I get to see him - feels like a long time friend after watching all the YT-movies  :)

If no one else here on the forum have some cheat to get the hooks stick to the TS-740 I will confront Tormek when visiting them (and to top up to 4 hooks for maximum storage capacity). I'll post here if/when I learn Tormek's solution.
#6
Quote from: tgbto on August 18, 2026, 04:49:29 PMHello, and welcome.

I can't speak to the TS-740 as I don't own one. Still, I don't like the idea of overhanging stones very much, I'd hate to bump into one.

Regarding spillage, I'll risk two opinions :
1. Spillage is drastically reduced as you get more experience on your Tormek. Even with long knives, I hardly ever spill water on the machine or even the water collection plate anymore.
2. There are numerous 3D-printed options for drip collection, depending on whether or not you use a MB-102/FVB, etc. You can have a look at this one or this one for instance.

Enjoy your sharpening journey !

Impressive! Thanks a lot!! I need to review my 3D printing options (don't have a printer, but friends who do...).

I'm still on a learning curve after several years with an older SA-250 machine before I got my T8. Put simple: it is challenging for me to keep all water "in the system".

As for the hooks, it was one of the selling points as I got tired of drying/storing the grinding wheels elsewhere. A hook won't come off when a wheel is hanging on it and you won't drop a wheel trying to mount it, the hooks snaps off very early in the sequence of trying to park a grinding wheel or nudging it accidentally.
#7
Hi Tormek!

I just received my TS-740, RB-180 and some extra grinding wheels for my T8.

1. Is there a neat way to fix the storage hooks so that they don't come off so easily when "parking" a grinding wheel?

2. Even though I have the new feet to tilt the T8, water spill into the RB-180 and onto the rubber mat. A drainage at both of them would be wonderful to ease cleaning up and to
reuse as much as possible of the water and anti-corrosion mixture.

3. I have more grinding wheels than hooks - it would be nice to receive four hooks (or be able to order them) to be able to store more grinding wheels (two on each side of the station)

Trying to stay sharp... 😎