News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - John Hancock Sr

#1
Quote from: Dan on September 26, 2026, 08:30:37 PMT8 was not yet available 15 years ago
Sorry, it was a T7 dated 2011. My son now has it. I bought the T8 Anniversary but with my repairs and paint job the T7 is as good as new.
#2
Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 24, 2026, 03:50:47 PMI'm curious, John. Where was the rust? Where the grindstone makes contact with the main shaft? Did the rust penetrate into the grindstone?
The rust was under the wheel. It did not extend into or past the bearing. The wheel was completely stuck to the shaft It was about 15 years old when I bought it and I suspect that it had never been removed. It was in a liquidation auction for a business. The rust did not penetrate into the wheel. There is a collar inside the hole which is part of the wheel, which stopped it. It only rusted where the wheel contacted the shaft. The bearings were also quite worn.

In hindsight I could have used vinegar to dissolve the rust and remove the wheel but it cracked when I tried to remove it.
#3
Quote from: Dan on September 24, 2026, 10:57:22 PMSo, I just removed the wheel, in case of any problems and all is fine
It will take a while to show. Also greasing will help.  I bought a second hand T8 that was about 15 years old. The SG wheel was rusted solid to the shaft. I suspect that it had never been removed.  I think if you remove it regularly you may be fine. I will continue to remove mine after every session thought ;)
#4
Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 21, 2026, 04:16:49 PMThe reason I remove the grindstone between sessions is to prevent rust. The grindstone soaks up water and remains wet for hours if not days.

You can read about my adventures with a rusty main shaft here


Same. I bought a T8 second hand and it had the "stainless" shaft. The SG had rusted on and could not be removed. Alwas remove the wheel between sessions.
#5
Two reasons.

The material used in the SG wheel is extremely porous and retains moisture for a long time after use. This moisture can cause the shaft to corrode. Note that stainless steel does not mean corrosion free. If subject to long periods of moisture then it can corrode as I can certainly attest. In addition if you are sharpening carbon steel these particles can collect on the shaft under the wheel and these will accelerate the corrosion process. Removing the wheel will prevent the shaft from corroding under the wheel.

As you grind some small grit particles can get trapped inside the nut and washer. If the wheel dries out, this can lock the nut and make it difficult to remove.
#6
General Tormek Questions / Re: grinding wheel spindle
September 16, 2026, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: RichColvin on September 16, 2026, 04:10:49 AMThe MSK-250 Stainless Steel Shaft with EzyLock is a nice upgrade for that machine.
Did that upgrade myself. Well worth the investment. Also put a dab if lithium grease on the bearings. Finally, always remove the wheel between sessions.
#7
General Tormek Questions / Re: T8 Damaged in Shipping
September 15, 2026, 02:05:18 AM
Also contact the supplier. They may be able to assist. Cannot hurt.
#8
Hand Tool Woodworking / Re: chisel question replies
September 12, 2026, 09:16:53 AM
Quote from: Ken S on September 12, 2026, 07:43:27 AMFocus on only one chisel. Do not be distracted by thinking about multiple chisels until your first chisel is completely sharpened.
Agree. I have also found this to be the most effected approach.
#9
Quote from: Cliff on September 04, 2026, 04:18:25 AMused the emery cloth to clean the surface however this did not really help much
If it is the drive wheel then yes, I had the same issue. Abrasive is fine but I find a vert much better solutions is to use belt grip. It is used for drive belts for when they glaze and begin to slip. You can get it in a small pot or spray can. It is available from your local automotive store.

I remove the honing wheel. Place a paper towel or cloth under the shaft to catch the drips. Set the machine running. Spray a small amount onto the drive wheel. Turn the machine off and clean up the excess. I found t works a treat.
#10
Quote from: Hbietenb on September 03, 2026, 09:40:40 AMIs the composite wheel still usable,
You will be perfectly fine
#11
Quote from: RickKrung on September 03, 2026, 04:24:06 PMI would say one does not need to rotate all the way to the slanted lines, depending
It will also depend on the flute geometry. The flutes vary slightly depending on the exact design of the drill, say for wood, brass, ductile steel carbon steel &etc, and the manufacturer.

I would suggest to start by lining up the drill to start with based on how much damage there is, broken vs severe chipping, then re-adjust as you get close to done with the primary bevel.
#12
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
August 27, 2026, 04:26:54 AM
Quote from: MARC LAVINA on August 25, 2026, 10:06:37 PMI experienced a consistent difference of 1 degree that the KS-123
You need to make sure that the jig is properly seated. If it is not properly seated it can vary a little.
#13
General Tormek Questions / Re: Upgrading a T2000
August 25, 2026, 08:23:34 AM
Quote from: JohnG on August 24, 2026, 07:32:29 PMperhaps I used too much of the Tormek supplied oil.
Tormek recommend that you use half of the supplied oil on the leather. If you use too much it just becomes oily. Not sure where the stickiness comes in but if you are only using the oils and honing compound you should be fine. I would not worry about it. It will settle in.

Quote from: JohnG on August 24, 2026, 07:32:29 PMthere is a bit of side to side wobble
Again, I would not worry. The hole is very slightly larger than the shaft. Tormek recommend that you tighten the nut label right side up so that it is always in the same position on the shaft but in any case there are few instances where it really matters. Knives and woodworking hand tools really makes no difference. There may be an obstruction in the bore so I would check for that.

As a reminder make sure that you lubricate the shaft where it passes through the bearings. Tormek recommend white lithium grease. It is particularly sticky and resists washing away with the water. I got a small tub from my local automotive store for a few $$.
#14
Quote from: RickKrung on August 21, 2026, 03:08:32 PMYeah, annoying. When I remember to, which is often not, I move the wheel out enough to reach in and touch the spacer to separate it from the wheel and then finish removing the wheel.

Same.
#15
Not really. It does tend to stick to the wheel when you take it off.