I wanted a second SVD-186R and remembered that there had been a discussion of this when the R was released with its locking knob. I had a 186 on hand so for the conversion to a 186R I implemented Rick's idea of a collar around the jig to reinforce the tapped hole.
As can be seen in the pictures, the body of the 186 is about 2.5mm thick and the collar doubled that. There is now plenty of thread to hold the knob. (If I were Rick I would have machined a steel collar, but the 20mm ID brass bushing was so cheap ($6) and easy that I couldn't resist; I am confident that it will do the job.)
The brass bushing was a decent interference fit over the jig: I warmed the bushing, froze the jig, slid on the bushing and it tightened up nicely. If the fit hadn't been so nice, I would have put a dab of JB Weld in to keep things orderly.
Though it looks a bit bulkier in the middle, I am finding the homemade 186R to be functionally the same as my "real" 186R, so this was a successful modification for me.
Gord
As can be seen in the pictures, the body of the 186 is about 2.5mm thick and the collar doubled that. There is now plenty of thread to hold the knob. (If I were Rick I would have machined a steel collar, but the 20mm ID brass bushing was so cheap ($6) and easy that I couldn't resist; I am confident that it will do the job.)
The brass bushing was a decent interference fit over the jig: I warmed the bushing, froze the jig, slid on the bushing and it tightened up nicely. If the fit hadn't been so nice, I would have put a dab of JB Weld in to keep things orderly.
Though it looks a bit bulkier in the middle, I am finding the homemade 186R to be functionally the same as my "real" 186R, so this was a successful modification for me.
Gord