News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Drilon

#1
The Tormek T8 had been introduced 10 years ago in 2016.
#2
Knife Sharpening / Re: Tormek Angle Calculator- URGENT
August 29, 2026, 09:15:43 PM
Calcapp is a very good alternative. But now I mostly use the KS-123 with good results.

#3
Knife Sharpening / Re: Choosing a default angle
June 13, 2026, 08:57:01 PM
As long as I follow the instructions and always start from a smaller angle when using the KS123 to approach the desired angle, I have no problem with precision. And that means that when I'm re-sharpening, I can usually feel the burr after just two passes with the CBN160! A great accessory!
#5
Did you watch on YouTube the video "Tormek Knife Sharpening class Part 1" ? At 6:30 min. starts a good description about knife clamping.

https://www.youtube.com/live/R2ifZQOJA7k?si=B-2ye4Ahh0_Gu_yv

Hope this helps!
#6
On Youtube Vadim (RIP) of Knifegrinders shows how to use the diamond plates:
https://youtu.be/141hD1d1zj0?si=rxdJOJUAxfsF2I4d

Hope this helps!
Drilon
#7
Knife Sharpening / Re: SG-250 Question
December 19, 2025, 08:42:41 PM
Working with the diamond plates is great. But I use 80 grit and 400 grit plates as suggested by Vadim Kraichuk (RIP).

There are 65 mm wide and 80 mm wide plates available. I prefer the wider ones.

Regards,
Drilon
#8
But it fits the T2 sharpener only.

#9
Knife Sharpening / Re: Wheel direction
July 24, 2025, 08:40:15 PM
I agree completely!
#10
Hello Alan,

as "Quick Reply" does not allow to upload picture files from the PC you should use "REPLY" instead. At the bottom line you will see the possibility to upload picture files from the PC. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Drilon
#11
Hello Alan,

I also had the problem to read the KS-123 scale (Pic_1). So I purchased a small but bright LED light (Pic_2). Now I can read the scale of the KS-123 easily (Pic_3).

Regards,
DrilonYou cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
#12
Honing with diamond on the wool felt wheel, as described by Vadim (RIP), works very well. My only problem was obtaining the alcoholic diamond solution. The commercially available quantities are far too large.

Now I have a simple and inexpensive solution. I bought monocrystalline diamond powder and prepare it in ethanol as follows:

I put a knife point of diamond powder (5 to 6 mg) in a small test tube and add about 2 ml of ethanol. I shake this up with a small ink mixer of the type used for mixing tattoo inks (Fig. 1).

I pour this mixture into a small electric sprayer and spray the rotating wool felt disk. Such small sprayers (Fig. 2) are used in beauty salons.

To ensure that only the wool felt disk is coated and not the surrounding area, I have fitted two disks with a larger diameter than the wool felt disk (Fig. 3). This keeps everything nice and clean.

All together it cost less than 60 US$! With the 20 grams of diamond powder for less than 10 US$, I'm sure I can hone my knives for years!

Have fun with it!
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
#13
What is the ultrasonic power of your ultrasonic cleaner?

Regards,
Drilon
#14
Here is the file
#15
Hi Enrico,

there must be a difference in the angle readings because you are measuring in two different planes.
Angles.jpg
With the WM-200 you measure along the side "b", with the KS-123 along the central tangent line.

For example, on a Global knife, I measured the thickness of the spine to be 1.2 mm, so "a" is 0.6 mm. The value for "b" is 20 mm.

The angle for the difference of the planes is calculated with the formula
angle= arctan (opposite "a" divided by adjacent "b"), 
with the given values
arctan (0.6/20) = arctan (0.03) = 0.0299910049 rad, converted to degrees gives 1.72°.

If you want to get an angle of 15°, set KS-123 to 15°, but set WM-200 to 16.72° (it will be difficult to be that precise!!).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Drilon