Tormek Community Forum

In the Shop => General Tormek Questions => Topic started by: Garyd on October 02, 2026, 08:48:08 PM

Title: Help to identify this old Tormek wheel.
Post by: Garyd on October 02, 2026, 08:48:08 PM
 
I came across this old wheel at the back of my cupboard where it has been sitting for 20-odd years. I originally had it fitted to my Tormek, but swapped it for the leather honing wheel and put this one away, where it was more or less forgotten about.

I've recently been looking at the newer composite honing wheels Tormek now produces, and it got me wondering about this old one. It certainly looks like it could be an early version or perhaps a forerunner of the modern composite wheel.

The wheel is approximately 240 mm in diameter and 30 mm thick, and the grey material appears to be some kind of abrasive composite rather than a conventional grinding stone.

Does anyone recognise it or know what Tormek originally called it? I'd be particularly interested to know when it was made, what it was intended for, and whether it was actually an early composite deburring/honing wheel.

It has been stored indoors all these years, but obviously the material has aged. Is there any way of cleaning, conditioning or dressing the wheel to bring it back to a usable standard, or is it likely to have deteriorated too much after all this time?

If anyone remembers these old wheels, has one themselves, or has any old Tormek literature showing it, I'd love to hear from you. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks GaryD


31DBAFA0-42BA-47EE-8388-AE05B16DB938.jpeg29855762-CFA3-483C-9590-DD41165F6482.jpegF8E820EC-F308-4C64-9719-473B89E06ADC.jpeg?
Title: Re: Help to identify this old Tormek wheel.
Post by: John Hancock Sr on October 02, 2026, 09:24:02 PM
Our mate Ken posted about this a while ago. See his post here

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,4570.0.html