News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Knife Sharpening / Re: Retrofit for the KJ-45 to ...
Last post by VijayDoshi - Yesterday at 09:40:30 PM
We'll be using these in our business over the foreseeable future I will keep an eye out for any issues.
Last post by Ken S - Yesterday at 09:01:30 PM
I suspect it placed uneven pressure and uneven bevels.

Ken
Last post by VijayDoshi - Yesterday at 08:48:06 PM
Interesting, what was the impact of users leaning on the shaft?
General Tormek Questions / Re: Newbie here....
Last post by John_B - Yesterday at 08:46:08 PM
Watch the videos and practice. I would start with a chisel or a knife (not your best) to get a feel for the machines operation. Avoid dollar store knives; they are hard to sharpen as it is difficult to remove the burr as they are often very soft. A good test for sharpness are receipts.
Last post by Ken S - Yesterday at 08:28:54 PM
I hate to discourage innovation; however, all Tormek SVM jigs made prior to 1992 had longer shafts. Tormek switched to the shorter shafts in present use because some users were leaning on the longer shafts.

Ken
Last post by VijayDoshi - Yesterday at 07:44:35 PM
This qualifies as an "improvement" to an existing patent according to my attorney which; in the U.S., is permitted.
Novelty
The improvement must be new and not known or used by others in the country.
Non-obviousness
The improvement must not be obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the area of technology related to the invention.
Usefulness
The improvement must add a new function or extends the existing function of the invention.

Many people already have KJ-45's since that is what is coming with all the "kits" that Tormek makes and generally is what people seem to start out with. Will see if people buy it or ask for the whole thing as a single unit - that might qualify as an infringement though since I'm not extending the use of an existing product (the retrofit) so I doubt I'l go there. Also, since people would be buying a KJ-45 anyway, what would the damages be to Tormek - basically none.
Knife Sharpening / Re: Simple adjustment of the g...
Last post by VijayDoshi - Yesterday at 05:22:52 PM
If you can't find an SVM-45 and only have a KJ-45 I've made a retrofit for the KJ-45 that makes it adjustable.

I'm not sure yet if it will fit the SVM-100 yet since I don't have one.
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,5532.0.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285847780646

Thanks for your work!
Last post by tgbto - Yesterday at 04:51:29 PM
Right again, I forgot about the split.

Out of curiosity, have you checked with Tormek that they won't consider it a patent infringement on their SVM-45 and/.or KJ-45 ?

And if not, would it be less expensive overall to just go all the way and may an entire jig from scratch, free from compatibility constraints with the KJ ?

Last post by VijayDoshi - Yesterday at 04:29:32 PM
SVM-45's are nowhere to be found (if you can find a good source LMK!) - so this lets anyone that wants the adjustable-ness of the SVM-45 and has bought a KJ-45 fix that.

Yes - thanks, they were mislabeled - fixed in original post.

This primarily brings back the adjustable aspect that we lost with the KJ-45 that we used to have with the SVM-45, in addition to making the shaft longer than the original SVM-45. On the KJ45 there is only a plastic post that is split so retrofitting it without something like this is likely to be very tenuous.
Last post by tgbto - Yesterday at 04:21:59 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on Yesterday at 02:26:40 PMPretty sure you're right, which is why (paraphrasing) "centering doesn't matter" is repeated.  Basically, just remaking an SVM jig from KJ parts.

Ooh damn, you're right. I don't know the price point for this but postage included it might well make it an expensive SVM-45.

Wouldn't that kind of adapter with the right fit do the trick for le$$ if one doesn't care about centering ? Saw off the end of the KJ before the middle stop, glue it inside the hole, use an embedded M8 nut as an adjustable stop ?