News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: BaltoT on April 26, 2024, 04:32:24 PMAlso, what wheels/accessories/kits should I order with T-8 black. I will be using it for:
- chisels, including wide timber frame chisels and slicks
- planer blades
- knives (kitchen, etc)
- axes

The SE-77 jug for plane blades and chisels
The SVH-320 for planer blades
For the rest you can go a couple of ways. I got the HTK-806 hand tool kit which has the knife and axe jugs amongst other things. Otherwise you can go for the KJ-45 knife jig and the SVA-170 and add the others as you need them.

The other thing about the T8 black is that it only comes with the DF-250 which is good for general purpose sharpening but you may want extra wheels, say the SG 250 and/or the DC and DE wheels.

As for price I have found that here in Australia we can often get discounts on Tormek products. I often find around $100 off the wheels and similar discounts on other jigs et al. I check Amazon, Ebay and dealer's web sites. This may be due to our consumer laws which (mostly) outlaws price setting.
General Tormek Questions / Re: VICTORY KNIVES NEW ZEALAND
Last post by dankeelz - April 29, 2024, 04:32:34 AM
I did read your post and replied to you with thanks. I have just re-done some of them just using and OLD/WORN [205mm] sg 250 for the rough cut and then used a newer sg250 [248mm] for the smooth cut. WOW! So much better and easier! So thank you again, cbwx34, Ken S, and Sir Amwell for all the help and advice.
Regards
Dan
Last post by cbwx34 - April 29, 2024, 02:19:22 AM
Quote from: Ken S on April 28, 2024, 09:07:44 PM...
I did an online srarch on how hard are Victory knives:

You could have just read my post::)  :D  :D

(But at least we agreed.)   ;D
Took me 10 mins to figure out how to post! If this isn't the right forum I'm sorry. This site is difficult to navigate
So I have an older Tormek Super Grind 2000. I want to replace the smaller rubber wheel with a CBC 80 grit, and keep the larger white dressing wheel for now. I just need a source for a wheel that someone could recommend. I want to make sure it will fit!
I'd send don't photos but it says they're too large.... Sheesh
Last post by dankeelz - April 29, 2024, 01:43:06 AM
Thank you both Ken S and Sir Amwell. That is EXACTLY what I am about to do with a new batch I just got today to sharpen. That is why this forum is such a great thing to utilize.
Regards
Dan
Last post by Sir Amwell - April 28, 2024, 11:45:25 PM
Second that.
First task in sharpening is knowing what you are dealing with.
If you can't identify the steel on a kitchen knife then assume it's of low hardness and progress from there.
At least you won't risk damaging expensive CBN or diamond wheels.
If you're not making progress on an unidentified steel you can always switch to super abrasives later.
Last post by Ken S - April 28, 2024, 09:07:44 PM
Dan,

I did an online srarch on how hard are Victory knives:

"People also ask
What steel does Victory knives use?
Victory contines to thrive by maintaining the highest standards in manufacture and materials, building on its reputation for unsurpassed quality. The stainless steel blade is made from German Krup steel, hardened to a hardness of 54-55 HRC.
https://www.huntgathergrow.com.au › ...
Victory Knives - Hunt Gather Grow"

I am no metalurgist, however, most kitchen knives seem to be in the 58 to 60 range. That would indicate to me that the steel in Victory knives is softer than typical and better suited to non superabrasive knives, meaning not CBN or diamond wheels.

I consider the Tormek online classes the most reliable source on Tormek. A frequent question in several of the classes is asking for a recommended wheel of choice for knives and chisels. The Tormek instructors have access to any of the Tormek wheels. They consistently recommend the SG-250.

I am also aware of extensive direct and indirect marketing of CBN wheels. CBN and diamond wheels have their place with the Tormek, but not especially with kitchen knives. I would suggest sorting your knives to be sorted. Use the SG-250 for the knives with softer steel. Make sure your SG-250 is well tuned with the TT-50 and stone grader, Then, switch to your superabrasive wheel for the knives with harder steel.

Ken
Last post by dankeelz - April 28, 2024, 01:55:27 AM
Thanks for your comment. I will just go back to using my SG wheels and try that. I thought someone would be able to help. Cheers regards
Dan
Last post by cbwx34 - April 27, 2024, 04:54:13 PM
Quote from: dankeelz on April 27, 2024, 02:02:47 AMHi, I sharpen ALOT of 'VICTORY' brand fish filleting knives made in New Zealand. Mostly with thin 25cm blades. I was having fair results with the standard SG wheel, however since changing over to CBN wheels I am having trouble raising a bur. The steel is quite hard, or so it seems. Does anybody have any thoughts on maybe changing my technique or any other suggestions? The new CBN wheels work great on all the other knives I do for people. I am far from being an expert or a beginner,[ been sharpening for nearly 3 years now] so my technique is pretty well sorted.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan, Norfolk Island, South Pacific

I think it may be the opposite of "quite hard"... their Catalogue says "The stainless steel blade hardness is 54-55 HRC".  CBN wheels reportedly don't work well on softer steels.  For example:

Quote from: https://info.eaglesuperabrasives.com/blog/why-cbn-is-the-superior-choice-for-grinding-steelLimited Application: While excellent for hard materials, CBN may not be the best choice for softer materials, where conventional abrasives might suffice.

(It's also mentioned on Rich Colvin's website.)