News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: RickKrung on Today at 01:52:00 AM
Quote from: RichColvin on Yesterday at 09:24:47 PMBoth have legs which are 145mm long.  The difference is in the top bar

• US-105 = 305mm
  • US-103 = 295mm

As noted, the US-103 is 10mm shorter to accommodate the 200mm grindstone which is 10mm thinner than the 250mm grindstone.

10mm difference in length???

250mm - 200mm = 50mm

The width of the stone... 50mm vs 40mm
Quote from: RichColvin on Yesterday at 09:24:47 PMBoth have legs which are 145mm long.  The difference is in the top bar

• US-105 = 305mm
  • US-103 = 295mm

As noted, the US-103 is 10mm shorter to accommodate the 200mm grindstone which is 10mm thinner than the 250mm grindstone.

10mm difference in length???

250mm - 200mm = 50mm
Knife Sharpening / Re: Simple Platform Jig
Last post by RichColvin - Yesterday at 09:33:14 PM
Please share the STL files.
Both have legs which are 145mm long.  The difference is in the top bar

• US-105 = 305mm
  • US-103 = 295mm

General Tormek Questions / Goniostat for the Tormek
Last post by RichColvin - Yesterday at 09:15:47 PM
I am in the process of designing a goniostat for the Tormek, and am seeking feedback.  This jig is designed for sharpening these types of tools:

• Single point cutting tools for small metal lathes.
  • Engraving bits used in rotary cutters, especially as driven by a router type motor on a CNC machine, and
  • Tools for ornamental turning, especially on rose engines.
  • End mills

The picture below shows the parts I've designed so far.

The parts are:

• DBS-22 Plate (item #2, p/n 2350, shown in gray).  This slides left / right on the base of the DBS-22.

• Goniostat Base Plate (blue).  The final one will need some form of marking to show the angle for setting.  The drawing below shows shows the tool fence with the pointer at the top and the locking knob removed.  This angle would read 90°, and the fence can be rotated left or right as needed.

• Tool Fence (red) - used to set the angle for grinding the edge.  The tool or tool holder would be held against this when sharpening.

The bolt coming up thru the Goniostat Base Plate is a T-Slot bolt from McMaster-Carr (p/n 92770A113).  I had to turn the shoulder down a little so that it did not protrude too much above the surface of the Goniostat Base Plate.  The area noted in red below is what was turned to the the same as the screw shaft.

• Plate Angle Gauge (yellow) - used to set the angle of the plate (DBS-22 and Goniostat Base Plate) on the USB.  This would also have indicator marks.  They are simulated at 15° increments in the drawing below.  There are no rollers on the design (like on the TTS-100).  That would be an improvement which would be welcome.

• Round Tool Holders (green) - these are used to hold tools for sharpening which have round shafts.  They have a 60° nose angle to allow the held tool to be ground up close.  The hole in the top is for a 6mm set screw to hold the tool's shaft in place.
    The sizes shown on the right are the ones I will use.  3D printing the 8 of them will take a while on my 3D printer, which is pretty slow. There are two generic ones shown on the left.  The left-most one is 25mm square and would be drilled for holding bigger tools.  The other one is 15mm square and would be drilled for holding smaller tools.
These are videos of the goniostat in use.

Last post by cbwx34 - Yesterday at 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: tgbto on Yesterday at 08:55:42 AM...
A quick note on a design choise (which I am not sure is wise): the (grey) sliding platform is more or less self-locking inside the (blue) support. One has to flex it a bit by pressing down in the middle so it slides easily, then release it so it locks back in place, and the (red) back thumbscrew is just here to secure it in place and prevent bending. I might have to play with tolerances and/or add a bit of teflon or the like on the outer surfaces in contact with the support so it slides more smoothly but still locks without significant radial play..

Guess I don't see the need for a "sliding platform"... the Platform should accommodate just about any size knife without the need for this?   ???
General Tormek Questions / Re: US-103 & US-105 difference...
Last post by cbwx34 - Yesterday at 06:10:33 PM
Quote from: tgbto on Yesterday at 04:47:31 PMKen, I understand your point.

But again, I think this is one of the points where the fact still shows, that knife sharpening is what I call an afterthought for Tormek.

Maybe they should think of a "Premium Knife Sharpening Edition", with the knife jigs, new angle setter instead of the AngleMaster, MB-102 and US-430 instead of US-10x.

And of course a redesign (or return) to a more knife specific machine...

... one need only look at the post count in this forum to see where the interest lies. ;)

p.s.  If you live in France, there's a T-4000 on eBay...  ::)
General Tormek Questions / Re: US-103 & US-105 difference...
Last post by Ken S - Yesterday at 06:05:04 PM
Nick,

I like your Premium Knife Sharpening Edition idea.

As an old woodworker who only sharpened chisels and plane irons, I agree with your idea that knives were somewhat of an afterthought, as long as the word "somewhat" is included. After all, the original Tormek idea was a Christmas present from Torgny to his father, who was a woodworker.

I also think it is fair to say that the blue "woodworking machines" are evolving greatly for knife sharpening, especially with the new KS-123 and KJ-45.

Ken
Last post by Ken S - Yesterday at 05:52:27 PM
Nick,

Goodidea! I have long advocated getting to know a good local machinist. I would change that recommendation to include getting to know a good 3D printer or developing 3D design or printing skills. I believe the 3D printing benefits for Tormek sharpeners are only limited by our imaginations.

I would point out one possible constraint in your design. The out of round shape of the bore is a patented design held by Tormek called Torlock. I don't believe making a platform for your personal use would be problematic; however, anyone wanting to manufacture them for sale would face breach of patent legal action. Using a round hole would circumvent this issue, although with reduced holding power.

Ken
Last post by CopperFish - Yesterday at 05:29:19 PM
I love this. Nice work!