News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Knife Sharpening / Re: SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by tgbto - Today at 09:32:00 AM
I second what John wrote. That being said, I never use the SP-650 on the SJ, as it gets quickly full of blue sludge, and the SJ is so soft that I would be afraid it got way too easily out of square if I don't hold the SP-650 perfectly square to the stone. It could also go out-of-round easily as the SP is very aggressive for the SJ.

Rather, I keep it clean with a rust eraser, and true it from time to time using the diamond tool (and making sure I always go into the stone with the diamond tip, not out of it). The surface might be slightly rough right after truing, but essentially because of artefacts left by the truing tool. The surface will get back to smooth as silk after a few seconds of sharpening.

Another useful tip is the grading procedure demonstrated by Wootz, using a very fine diamond plate and very little pressure (to avoid getting the stone out-of-round).
Quote from: AlInAussieLand on Today at 01:53:01 AMDid you get that of original Tormek diamond wheels ?

Yes - I got the DE-250 for $449 but i had to be patient
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
Last post by cbwx34 - Today at 02:26:07 AM
Quote from: John Hancock Sr on Today at 02:05:01 AMNow all we need is one for the SE-77

Rich Colvin has a jig he made for using with the SE-77 that you might find helpful...

Projection Jig for the TTS-100
Knife Sharpening / Re: T4 Blackstone
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:09:51 AM
Quote from: jkSharp on Today at 12:09:22 AMWould any T8 user be willing to sell/send me a worn down T8 Blackstone?

That would definitely work.
Knife Sharpening / Re: SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:08:47 AM
No. It works by reducing the size of the exposed particles on the wheel. Since the size of the particles on the SJ are 5,000 grit then that will be the lowest grit the wheel will be. The SP will not "increase" grit size, only decrease.
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:05:01 AM
Now all we need is one for the SE-77
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:01:41 AM
Quote from: Ken S on Yesterday at 03:45:51 PMI live in the US and know very little about marketing in Australia.

We are often rorted by importers. Many a time I have bought much cheaper from overseas, including shipping and taxes. Some product lines more than others. Sony for instance is more than three times the $$ price here than in the US for not reason than it is. Take into account exchange rate and the reset that is about 50% over the odds. It is not as bad now that the Australian government clarified the law on parallel imports.

Speaking only about this jig, As per the current exchange rates a US$50 unit is AU75 add import taxes and that is $81.63 not $95. Someone is making an additional 15% profit.

As Charlie Brown used to say, you can't fight city hall ;)
Quote from: John Hancock Sr on Today at 01:36:25 AM
Quote from: AlInAussieLand on Yesterday at 12:04:59 PMSurprisingly the price differences are minuscule between them

I got over $100 off some of my diamond wheels.
Did you get that of original Tormek diamond wheels ?
Quote from: AlInAussieLand on Yesterday at 12:04:59 PMSurprisingly the price differences are minuscule between them

Depends. If you check ebay then some of them will heavily discount there with free shipping. I found the most consistently low prices are from Discount Traders and sometimes VEK tools. They will offer up to 20% off some items and sometimes there will be an additional discount voucher on the listing often including free shipping. I got over $100 off some of my diamond wheels. If you are willing to be patient then you can get some real bargains. Having said that my T8 black was never discounted so there is that, but I do see discounts on the regular T8.
Knife Sharpening / SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by khun - Today at 12:50:03 AM
If the fine side of the SP-650 at 1000 grit is used to clean the 4000 grit SJ-250, will the SJ-250 grit degrade from 4000 to 1000 grit?  If not, why would that be the case?  Apologies if this is a repeat inquiry.