News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Nick,

I like your Premium Knife Sharpening Edition idea.

As an old woodworker who only sharpened chisels and plane irons, I agree with your idea that knives were somewhat of an afterthought, as long as the word "somewhat" is included. After all, the original Tormek idea was a Christmas present from Torgny to his father, who was a woodworker.

I also think it is fair to say that the blue "woodworking machines" are evolving greatly for knife sharpening, especially with the new KS-123 and KJ-45.

Ken
Knife Sharpening / Re: Simple Platform Jig
Last post by Ken S - Today at 05:52:27 PM
Nick,

Goodidea! I have long advocated getting to know a good local machinist. I would change that recommendation to include getting to know a good 3D printer or developing 3D design or printing skills. I believe the 3D printing benefits for Tormek sharpeners are only limited by our imaginations.

I would point out one possible constraint in your design. The out of round shape of the bore is a patented design held by Tormek called Torlock. I don't believe making a platform for your personal use would be problematic; however, anyone wanting to manufacture them for sale would face breach of patent legal action. Using a round hole would circumvent this issue, although with reduced holding power.

Ken
Knife Sharpening / Re: Simple Platform Jig
Last post by CopperFish - Today at 05:29:19 PM
I love this. Nice work!
Ken, I understand your point.

But again, I think this is one of the points where the fact still shows, that knife sharpening is what I call an afterthought for Tormek.

Maybe they should think of a "Premium Knife Sharpening Edition", with the knife jigs, new angle setter instead of the AngleMaster, MB-102 and US-430 instead of US-10x.

I agree. Anyone doing serious kitchen knife sharpening should not place a
US-430 too far in the future. I was active in the user movement to revive the out of production US-400 (essentially an extended support without the extension of the side legs).Tormek agreed to produce a limited number of US-400s, which quickly sold out. Tormek eventually included the US-430 as part of the line. Even today, while the US-103 and 105 are included with every Tormek, the US-430  remains a small production item. I believe this is the reason for the large price difference.

Ken
Quote from: Ken S on Today at 04:10:04 AMThe standard US-103 support can handle knives with blades up to 200mm (8 inches).

Ken

With very little wiggle room to choose where to clamp the knife, though.
Knife Sharpening / Simple Platform Jig
Last post by tgbto - Today at 08:55:42 AM
Hello,

Having no metal machining skills nor equipment and few parts to tinker with, I thought I'd give a try at a simple "Platform Jig" that I could 3D-print.

There is nothing fancy or innovative with a simple adjustable plate to rest a blade against, it just feels like it's missing from the Tormek jig lineup.

The objective is to be able to accomodate as wide a range of angles as possible, not limited to short blades but well suited to those as the SVM-00 is kinda fidgety.

I'll use PLA filament for the prototypes and ASA for the real thing, trying to avoid supports except snug ones for the two holes for ruthex inserts (thumbscrews) where geometry matters little.

A quick note on a design choise (which I am not sure is wise): the (grey) sliding platform is more or less self-locking inside the (blue) support. One has to flex it a bit by pressing down in the middle so it slides easily, then release it so it locks back in place, and the (red) back thumbscrew is just here to secure it in place and prevent bending. I might have to play with tolerances and/or add a bit of teflon or the like on the outer surfaces in contact with the support so it slides more smoothly but still locks without significant radial play..

[edit]And a second note : I might not be able to dispense with having to add a metal plate on top on the side of the slide that is close to the wheel, if I have to thin the tip and keep everything rigid.[/edit]

Please feel free to give any feedback that I could incorporate before the first actual prints.

Cheers,

Nick.
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 07:10:06 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on Yesterday at 02:26:07 AMRich Colvin has a jig he made for using with the SE-77 that you might find helpful...

I do have that but I tend to use the marker method for a one off. I have a set of chisels to do then I'll use the marker method for the first one, set the projection with a small double square then use that for the projection on the rest.
Fredrik,
If you are working in a limited space, the "maybe in the future" argument seems logical. The standard US-103 support can handle knives with blades up to 200mm
(8 inches).

Ken
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
Last post by tcsharpen - Today at 03:29:56 AM
My KS-123 arrived today. I first set up to sharpen a kitchen knife using the KJ-45 jig with the KS-123. After getting it all adjusted, I then measured the projection and entered the values into Calcapp which said the USB height should be 88.6mm. Measuring this after the angle setter was used yielded 88.7mm.  I'd say this is well within specs of my inexpensive digital caliper used to take the measurement.

Even the first setup was quick after having watched the Tormek video.

I then used the angle setter to set the honing angle to 1 degree greater. Simple, with great results.